Optical and coaxal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamieZ, Apr 28, 2002.

1. JamieZ

JamieZ Stunt Coordinator

My dvd player has an optical plug on it and my receiver only has coax. Is there a way to get dts sound with these two hookups. Like could I get some kind of optical to coax converter or something?

Thanks

Jamie

2. Clayton_M

Clayton_M Extra

3. JamieZ

JamieZ Stunt Coordinator

What if my receiver only has dd on it but my dvd player has dts. Would this still work?

Jamie

4. JamieZ

JamieZ Stunt Coordinator

That part says to use:

Requires a 6 VDC, 250 mA power supply use part (#120-025) power supply and tip part (#120-090).

I would have to buy those to parts that it says?

Jamie

5. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Your DVD player doesn't have a coax digital output? Thats weird.

6. Clayton_M

Clayton_M Extra

Yes, you would have to buy those two parts as well, I'm not sure about the dd or dts.

7. JamieZ

JamieZ Stunt Coordinator

So pretty much I should't really buy that converter cause it wouldn't do much for me. Right now I only use the left and right audio from my dvd to my receiver so am I get dd sound. If I bought this converter would I get the correct sound?

Jamie

8. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

9. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

10. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Perhaps a simple explanation of how this digital audio stuff works?

The Dolby Digital and DTS signals must be decoded at some point into 5 (or more) discrete channels. This can either be done in your DVD player or your digital audio/visual receiver.

In your case the DVD player can decode DD but not DTS. Your receiver can decode both formats but it needs a direct digital connection to do so.

To get DD on your system without a digital cable you can use 6 seperate cables, one for each of the 5.1 discrete channels (main L/R, center, rear L/R and sub). You hook those up from the pre-amp outputs on the back of your DVD player to the external decoder inputs of your receiver. Of course, if your receiver does not support an external decoder then you can not do this either. If this is the case I'd suggest upgrading your receiver.

In your case there is no way to get DTS onto your system without a digital cable.

Using the Left/Right channels from the DVD player only will get you Dolby Pro-Logic which is a poor substitute for DD/DTS.

Make sense? Not sure I needed to explain all this but I saw some things said in the above posts that seemed off and I just wanted to make sure we're all on the page. If I'm wrong or missed something please correct me.

As for your coaxial/optical converter, I've never seen one but I expect that they exist. Did you try asking at the shop you bought your gear?

- Mike

11. JamieZ

JamieZ Stunt Coordinator

I am going to go and buy that converter from parts express so I will get dd sound. All this time I think i'm getting dd and i'm not. What an idiot.

Jamie

12. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Well, IMO, the only real idiots are the ones who think they know everything and so never ask questions or listen to other people. Going by that, you are the exact opposite [​IMG] Everyone learns stuff at some time, and a lack of knowledge is certainly not the same thing as stupidity.
    I would repeat someone's request that you provide the exact brand and model number of your DVD player and receiver. People would be able to give you more precise advice about what your equipment can or cannot do if they know what it is.

13. Mike Veroukis

Michael
    Jamie, not too long ago I knew less about HT then you do now. Technology is neat but it's anything but obvious. Saurav is right, the only idiots are those who refuse to admit they made mistakes and never ask for help. You're fortunate enough to have found this forum which is very friendly and informative. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

- Mike

14. Ken Seeber

15. JamieZ

JamieZ Stunt Coordinator

I have about a 3 yr old pioneer vsx-d606s dd receiver. My dvd player is a junky rca(Rc5215p). Now that you have my equipment you can help me more. Also the coax input on my receiver is caller ac-3/pcm digital in.

Thanks

Jamie

16. Mike Veroukis

Michael
    Ken, you're right. I mis-read his post. I thought Jamie said his DVD player did the DD decoding. Oops. Hope I didn't cause too much confusion. I'll have to look up those units listed and see what they can do.

- Mike

17. Ken Seeber

18. JamieZ

JamieZ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everyone for the help!! I am now gonna have to check if radio shack has the converters or order online. I think I am gonna but a gold plated cable from radioshack instead of using an older one I have.

Jamie