What's new

Optical and coax inputs (1 Viewer)

Danklin26

Agent
Real Name
Noel
Can someone tell me if this is possible?

The new receiver im thinking about getting has only 2 optical inputs (the Yamaha RX-V459) and Im thinking about just buying a new dvd changer for both DVD's and CD's. My question is, is it possible to connect both the opitcal and coax cables for each source? I know on the receiver you can set which source uses a certain digital input.

For instance i want the dvd audio to play through the optical and coax to handle cd's. Would i be better off just using the analog multi channel in/outputs for the CD? Thanks.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Yes you can. You could map the coax to the DVD input on your receiver and tho optical output to the CD input. Why would you want to do this? Why not just leave it on DVD and put in a CD?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I've always found that CD's sound better played through the old analog connection rather than any digital connection. When I connect a DVD player to a system that it will be used for playing audio CD's also I connect the Digital to the DVD input and also the Analog to the CD input.

There is a technical reason for this also as this topic as come up in the past. I just can't explain it off the top of my head.

Danklin26

Agent
Real Name
Noel

I dunno, im just real anal about having the display read CD when i play a CD and DVD when watching a movie. I think i may have OCD haha.

Danklin26

Agent
Real Name
Noel

Haha nice. THanks for the info guys.

One more question, is it true that using a dvd for a cd player will burn it out a lot faster? It seems like it could but i dont play cd's for hours on end.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
They both have motors with pickups. Using a device twice as much will wear it out faster. This was a valid concern when DVD players were $1000+, but I wouldn't worry about it now.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

This all depends. A lot of new receivers do everything in the digital domain including volume control. In this instance converting DtoA, AtoD, and then one more DtoA isn't going to help sound quality.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
It's going to depend upon which DACs sound better to the end-user; their player's or their receiver's.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Agree with that!!!! and weather your DVD has a $5 DAC in it or a $200DAC in it.... lots of varialbles.. depending on product specific Specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks