What's new

Oprah Winfrey presents Their Eyes Were Watching God (1 Viewer)

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Oprah Winfrey presents Their Eyes Were Watching God

Based upon Zora Neale Hurston’s novel, adapted by Pulitzer Prize winning playwright Suzan-Lori Parks, Halle Berry, Academy Award winner stars.

Airs tonight on ABC.

todd stone

Screenwriter
is it me or does halle berry only do movies/shows now, with her clothes off or high sex attached.

talk about not broadining your horizons....

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
^^Halle won the Oscar for Monster’s Ball, extremely graphic sexual content. Berry, also got plenty of positive press for her gratuitous topless scene in Swordfish, that earned her a 5,000 bonus.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Saw most of the movie last night, talk about your chick movie. Wasn't bad, but by the time I finished watching it with my wife, I fell asleep and missed Robot Chicken, darn.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I had it on while working on the computer.

Definitely a "chick movie". Theme being playing your own rules, not settling for what is expected of you and all that jazz.

I like that the guys she got with were not portayed as one dimensional assholes. I guess there is a reason the book is a classic afterall.

Halle Berry excels most in this type of dramatic roles. I thought she was excellent.

What on earth are you talking about? Did you see the movie?

It would be nice if this didn't become another "I hate Halle Berry" thread.

--
H

Matthew J

Agent
I Love Halle but I'm sorry, can't she stop doing these stereo typical African American roles and movies? :frowning: :thumbsdown:

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Halle Berry has never been so gorgeous to me until I saw this movie, wonderful performance by her and the cast. After seeing this production I wonder, would Beloved have played better if it was an HBO miniseries?

Could you share what you mean by stereotypical African-American roles and movies?

Hollywood isn’t writing quality material for women and none for women of color. This is why novels written by African-American women often times are adapted to the screen from African-Americans with clout in the entertainment industry. Quincy Jones actually got into a biding war over the rights to this particular novel and didn’t know that the other bidder was Oprah Winfrey. When they found out about biding on each other they decided to share the producing duties.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member

Which ones do you figure qualify as roles in "stereotypical African American" movies?

--
H

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I'm curious, is "Oprah Winfrey presents" before the title suppose to make more people want to watch it?

Matthew J

Agent
I Didn't mean for everyone to gang up on me just stating my opinion, and I can name 5 from the list, a few of the others I haven't seen

Their Eyes Were Watching God
Monster's Ball
Bulworth
B*A*P*S
Losing Isaiah

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
You guys forgot Jungle Fever, small role, she was the crack head with Samuel L. Jackson who was the brother to Wesley Snipes Character. She did her first hot move as she grabbed her crouch indicating that Wesley should suck her "you know whats".

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
^^Originally Spike Lee had Berry cast as his girlfriend in Jungle Fever, but she wanted a role that played completely against her looks.

The TV miniseries Queen originally had Jasmine Guy as the lead, but producers decided to give Halle the role of Queen and reduce Ms. Guy’s role to Queen’s mother.

Her role in Bulworth started her friendship with Warren Beatty, who by the way pulled some strings at HBO to get her “Introducing Dorothy Dandridge” picture made, which led to her Emmy and Golden Globe wins for the project.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING HALLE BERRY: Blessed with Oprah's magic touch (read: huge PR platform), the ABC telepic Their Eyes Were Watching God attracted a whopping 25 million viewers Sunday night. It was the most-watched TV-movie since 1999's Julie Andrews/James Garner romance One Special Night

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks