What's new

Oppo's new Universal Blu Deck (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
That does sound like a nice unit, but like you, I'm going to stick with my 60gb PS3 and Pioneer DV-578A Universal SACD/DVD-A player for now.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
They said they were going to try hard to get a unit out before the end of the year and I guess the "early adoption program" qualifies. The player does sound very nice, especially the ability to increase the system memory with a USB thumb drive. Would have liked to see built in Wi-fi for that price though.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
RE: the lack of WiFi, I wonder if the USB port can be used for one of those affordable USB WiFi adapters (maybe one that also comes w/ a good size "thumb drive" combined).

_Man_

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'd be happy with that option too. For me Wi-fi is a big selling point since my router is not in a convenient and easily accessible place in our house.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This will be my belated gift to myself. I own a 60GB PS3 and while I love it, I'm looking for a nice all-in-one unit for my DVD-A and SACDs (can you tell I spend my life in the niche markets?) ;)

Plus I often would like to game when my girlfriend or her brother are watching BDs that I'm disinterested in, and obviously with only one PS3 player I can't.

If it can do for DVD what previous Oppo models did (i.e. great PAL->NTSC conversion and a region-free trick) then it's a no-brainer for me. I know Region Free is a no-no for BD (the BDA forbids it on certified players I think) but hopefully they can keep the region free trick for DVDs.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
With all the HT things that have an ethernet connection, but not wifi, it makes more sense than ever to get a local wireless bridge/router. Why get wifi built into each component? It's not necessary, and a plain ol' ethernet connector will likely be much more reliable in the long term. Let the guys who know how to make wifi make it, and besides it's lots cheaper to just have one good wifi "center" that always knows and controls what's going on wifi-wise. I don't even use the built-in wifi on my PS3, not nearly as good and as flexible/controllable as that on the local bridge/router.

I am REALLY glad this new Oppo will have DVD-A after all. For me, that makes it an almost certain purchase... I know that seems dumb, but it is a biggie for me. I don't have a backup DVD-A player, and my only DVD-A player is getting a little flakey these days. Besides it would be nice to get rid of all those analog cables from the current DVD-A player. If this player is region-free for DVD as well, then I can get rid of (move to backup status really) *two* players I have now.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
The PS3 will stay for BD play, until it is proven *right here* that something else does it better (Sony 350/550 have not proven it to me).

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Good point about using a dedicated bridge as that would be a very good solution, however unfortunately that's not always an option for me since most of my equipment is in different rooms. I do have one in my HT rack and it works relatively well with my Xbox 360 and Tivo. With as cheap as the chips are becoming I imagine we'll start seeing them as a standard feature on higher end players.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I still say "why built-in wifi?" though. I have yet to see built-in even a fraction as good as in a $40 router (WRT-54GL/Tomato). The built-in gives you almost no setup flexibility. Heck, a lot of them scan for wifi, so you can't even have two separate wifi systems within range (devices auto-connect to the first one they see). I gave up and use the routers, so much more flexible. The routers are so cheap you can buy one for each unit if you had to. Yeah, that way is a bit messy I guess, but if you have an AVR plus a game box plus a BDP in the same area, one router is pretty convenient. Don't forget too, you get all the advantages for wired data transfers between devices plugged into the router. And you can place the router for best RF operation to your internet server, rather than being bothered by where you place each wifi device, only one item to position and Cat5/e cables are cheap enough.

Anyway, I'm just saying lack of built-in wifi shouldn't discourage you. But then, I'm the guy who was discouraged by no DVD-A (as originally presented)...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lockheede
Recent bookmarks