What's new

Oppo's new player: The DV-970HD Universal (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
That baby looks pretty good on paper, and a nice price too. Plus it comes with an HDMI cable. I wonder how long the cable is?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

6 feet

Don't forget the 970 can be made into a region-free player and it has HDMI and HDCD as well.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 971 also included either a DVI or DVI-HDMI cable. There has been a big discussion about it already at AH and Oppo has already said, due to the lack of the Faroudja deinterlacing, this player will not be expected to perform as well as the 971 does as a stand alone player. This player does not replace the 971H, it is being touted as a lower model.

It is certainly right in there when it comes to low cost universal players, but I'm definitely waiting for a review to see what bass management, if any, it has for hires.

It also passes 480i via HDMI for use with a scaler.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

People who put in the initial orders should be getting their 970 anyday now. Keep an eye out on reviews either here or at AVS Forum.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Sightly off-topic: do the Oppo's (or any upconverting model) play OTA HD recordings? Since it's MPEG2, and they support the resolutions, is that possible?

-Christian

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If you're asking if it has an ATSC tuner, it does not.

If you're asking if it will play mpg media burned to disc, it does.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
That's a great price for the Oppo Player..Does anyone know if it will help with the macroblocking on the Samsungs. Some say it is enhanced by the 971 with the Faroudja. I am looking for a good upconverting player.

Edit: Waht major retailer will stock this?

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

The DV970H does not have the macroblocking enhancement problem of the Faroudja FLI23xx players. Available online only as far as I know, through Oppo and Amazon and perhaps a couple of others.

Chris

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I think the DV970HD is a good choice, maybe the best current budget option, if you need a universal player. If you don't need DVD-A/and SACD capability, I think there are better options including the DV971H. If macroblocking enhancement is an issue with your display, then the DV970H is back in the mix to be considered. It is too early to know if the DV970H is as well made as the DV971H but Oppo offers excellent customer service.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks