What's new

Oppo (1 Viewer)

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Are the "bug" with the Faroudja chip going to even be a factor with my Pioneer RPTV? I was under the impression (albeit quite possibly falsely!) taht teh macroblocking issue was only associated with DLP displays.

Is this true? Or am I a potential candidate to have "bugs" with my Pioneer RPTV?

And am I to assume that the "afterthought" component ouputs are no worse than anything else on the market these days? How bad can they be?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
On the 971, component is noticeably lacking in detail. You might be able to get a DVI to vga/component/rgbhv/whatever transcoder-- the 971's dvi is not encrypted. But that's probably expensive.

Yvetteilicious

Auditioning
Real Name
Yvette
Not much to do but be excited, I just bought mine too.

What about their LCD TV/DVD combo? $599 doesnt sound too shabby for something so chic.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I've been looking at this OPPO brand as well. Word is great on the net. My cheapie RCA just doesn't cut it (DVD-18 plays like crap) and I was going to pick up a standard DVD player that's a step above and this OPPO brand kept popping up. My thoughts were "OPPO? WTF is that?"

The features sound so good. I've always wanted to be able to just pop in whatever DVD I want and be able to watch it. PAL, non-r1, whatever.

Rolando

Screenwriter
So guys, is it official? Is the 981 the dream machine? The actual upgrade from the 971? All the greatness of the 971 with the improvements of the 970 without it's compromises?

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Since my quest for an acceptable universal changer has gone belly up, I've been looking at Oppo as well. I need SACD & DVD-A support via the analog outs. The 981 will still be inferior to the 970 when it comes to audio quality, so there is still no best of both worlds player from Oppo. As an audio first kind of guy, this is a bit of a disappointment. I know everyone says the video from the 970 is still great, but no matter which machine I buy, I feel like I am compromising.

Here's their explanation:

Dave,

The audio outputs from the DV-970HD are superior to that of the DV-981HD product due to the design of the internal hardware. The DV-970HD uses a single 4 layer PCB board which can reduce noise and other interference. The DV-981HD uses a three daughter board design with each board connected by ribbons. This connection can cause audio errors.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
453 Ravendale Dr, Suite D
Mountain View, CA 94043
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Rolando

Screenwriter
wow, I have never heard such honest responses from a manufacturer before. It is almost unnerving...

Does it do multi channel PCM over HDMI?

That might be the best way to get your DVD-A and SACD audio if you have a receiver capable of accepting multi channel PCM.

That is of course if the answer is yes to the "Does it do multi channel PCM over HDMI?" question.

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
couple month update:

I love this dvd player. i picked up the unlimted blockbuster pass, and every dvd that i get has a really nice punch to it. i have a sony hd tube, and the pictures are really nice, compared to my old sony progressive scan dvd player.

StolieOne

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
About the Oppo DV-981 HD, there is a great article in The Perfect Vision magazine, Issue 78. I had never even heard of Oppo and now I want one. The 981 is available at Amazon with free shipping. After a little more research, I will be ordering.

StolieOne

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
I'm confused. I see posts made today that indicate the 981 is not available for sale yet. This appears to not be true. I just ordered one to be delivered next Thursday, May 31st. I seem to be missing something here. I am looking forward to receiving the 981. From what I have read, it should provide a drastic improvement over my RCA up-converting DVD player. Are there any forum members that have used the 981?

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
The 981 has been out for quite a while -- don't know where you saw info stating otherwise? I've owned mine for about 6 weeks now and am enjoying it. A perk is that you can make it region free and it'll also play PAL DVDs -- not as quirky as my Philips.

Winston D

Agent
how does its performance towards burned DVD's? i have a few players that half the time fails to read. this is a big part of my decision as to which player to get. please advice.

Brent_S

Second Unit

The answer might depend on which model you're asking about. My 970 plays DVD-R discs just fine. Haven't tried any other recordable formats.

Are you sure the players and discs you tried were compatible? Even some higher end DVD players only list compatibility with one or the other of the +/- formats.

-Brent

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I just got an Oppo DV-981HD and I have a nitpick with it; I'm going to send it back if I can't find a solution. I put in Aimee Mann's "Lost in Space" in to test it out and the Oppo cuts off the first half second of the CD. My Pioneer DV-588A also does this, but an old Sony CD player plays it just fine. Is this an issue with a lot of DVD players with how it reads CDs? Does anyone know why it happens?

Brent_S

Second Unit
Make sure you email/call Oppo. Their support is generally top notch. If I had to guess, I'd bet it's something in the autoformat detection...the unit tries to automatically identify CD/DVD-V/DVD-A/SACD. There may be a setting that makes it quicker to recognize CD playback, or Oppo may already be aware of the problem and working ona firmware fix. I haven't noticed this glitch on my 970, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

Brent

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I e-mailed support this morning. It happens even if I click stop and have the CD start over again.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
This was their response: "Does the error occur only at the beginning of the audio track or at the beginning of all audio tracks? If only the beginning of the first audio track, then this is a known error with the current design of our DVD products."

It's going back to Amazon. Oh, well.

John Gido

Second Unit
I have an older Hitachi RPTV (Model # 46F500, resolutions 1080i, 720p, 480i & 480p ) with component & DVI connections on the rear panel. What model would be the best match-up to this TV? I have read excellent reviews for both the 970 & 971. Which model would show the best up-converted picture via component & DVI connection? Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

I e-mailed Oppo back on 7-3 with the above question and have yet to receive a response.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 971 would. Check OPPO's site, choose a model and click on the "compare" tab to view a side by side of the three models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks