What's new

Oppo (1 Viewer)

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Can either of these Oppos be rendered region free?
My region free JVC XV-N50 player is getting long in the tooth and I'd like a backup player for my Pioneer Elite DV-59AV .
The 970HD sounds good as it is also an SACD/DVD-A player like my Pioneer.

The specs say the 970HD can output either pal or ntsc, so the player is capable of reading either.

Quote:
"The DV-970HD also supports both NTSC and PAL disc and television systems."
http://www.audioholics.com/news/pres...Ddvdplayer.php

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi guys, I want to get one of these. Any reason why I should get the older model 971 instead of the new 970?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Oh I don't know. Maybe you'd prefer the Faroudja upscaling algorithm to the mediatec. Maybe you'd like to use a computer LCD with the Oppo. Perhaps you own foreign DVDs with weird cadences.
On the other hand, if you want HDMI audio, or have a display that highlights some of the Faroudja artifacts (banding) or want to play SACDs, then perhaps the 970HD is the better choice.

The differences are supposedly easier to see on large displays.

Rolando

Screenwriter
AHHH! thanks JeremyErwin.

So there are indeed differences, the 970 is definately not a straight "upgrade" but rather a new alternative.

Anyone noticed yet if the Faroudja indeed provided a nicer picture?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

The Faroudja chipset provides a smoother and a bit cleaner image than the 970. The 970 will produce a bit sharper image, but at the expense of slightly more jaggies and artifacts. However, these differences are not dramatic - but noticable none the less. In addition, I've been told the 971 incorporates just a touch of built-in noise reduction to help with the slightly cleaner image.
The 971 can produce macroblocking with some displays as was the case with mine.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
Hello,

I got the Oppo 971, is there a good to DVD to test the Macroblocking?
I assume "A Bug's Life", is there a specific chapter i should use to test with?

Thanks

johnADA

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, just got my 971H yesterday and here is preliminary review.

Just on the surface these guys could win.
Boxed neatly, tightly and safe.
Open the main box and a very nice package is seen.
No oversized boxing, with stuff rattling around within the box.
Orderly packed, not random throwing things in.
Like I said the first impression is just overwhelming compared to anything I ever received electronically, even came in its own sleeve!

Simple to setup, but most are.
Very NICE remote with a rarity glow in the dark feature, well layed out and another rarity, fully functional.
Very nice users manual, not just raw paper and very detailed, yet simple.

Picture is very good, but not heads above another I had, but still better for less than the price I paid on the other.
Features which are usable galore, shift on the fly features also that other players make you stop before doing.

Still have to spend some time with it and listen to some music, test other features, BUT DAM, why did I wait this long!!!!!!!!!

bogo

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
I already have the 971, been thinking about the 970, but I had heard about a new model. Low and behold, in the new S&V, near the front, is the first full page I have ever seen Oppo run. And, there is the new model, DV981-HD. Updated with HDMI, true 1080P, and SACD playback.
Does anyone have any more info on this? I emailed Oppo, but too soon to hear back from them, if they tell me anything at all.
I am going to be selling my Onkyo 802 6-disc carousel player very shortly:)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

That pretty much sums up the 981.

The 970 is not really an upgrade over the 971 in terms of video quality (unless the 971 gives you macroblocking).

bogo

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
Update: Oppo says they are "looking" at late November as the time of the 981 release:)

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I wanted to "pre-order" the 981 and put a deposit down for the difference.
I just bought the 971, but Oppo does not have a pre-order system and they do not have a final price for the 981.
They just issued a return for the 971 and will credit the full price.
If would have been nice if I could have used the 971 until the 981 came out, but I will take the credit and get the 981 when it goes on sale.
The 971 worked great with my Sony KDL-46XBR2!!
I look forward to the 981!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Just an FYI to anyone, but the 981 will not have component video --- it will be HDMI only. This isn't really a big deal as the 971 component capability was not even recommended by Oppo to be used as it's quite poor. If you need component output, get the 970 model. It does a pretty nice job with 480p.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I was waiting for something like this to happen.

How long will it be when ALL players mysteriously have crappy component outputs? Then eventually only HDMI outputs - the outputs that are encrypted as forced on the manufacturers by the paranoid suits in Hollywood - will be present. Lets' hope at least the S-video port will still be there for people that don't want to buy a new monitor just to watch the dvds they legally bought for their own use.

Anyone else think the DIVX dvd format may make a comeback?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I won't say anything more about this issue that DOES affect everyone here, but if the moderators allow it, do want to provide two links about this (blue emphasis is mine):

Digital Video Restrictions

More info about your analog/digital Intellectual Property rights here.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I did not test the 971 with any burned DVD.
I only tested original DVD-Audio and original PAL R2 discs.

Will the 981 not play burned DVD discs?

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
I was about to order the 971. But now I read here that the component outputs are crappy, and that the 970's are better. (I have an older 5-year old Pioneer RPTV that does not have HDMI, but rather some sort of "computer-type" input with a female connector....).

I will eventually upgrade to a newer display that has DVI or HDMI, so that is why I was leaning on the 971. Now I'm worried that the picture will look worse that I expected due to the crappy component output.

(Are the outputs any worse than what has been available on the majority of DVD players lately???)

What to do....
What to do.....

Buy the 970 for now, and then have to upgrade again when I get a new display?

Can't someone just manufacture a product that does it all? I would venture to guess they'd sell millions......

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The 971 has one of the best DVI outputs in the world. The component connections were seemingly thrown in as an afterthought. The 970 doesn't have the bugs of the faroudja chipset, but neither does it have the quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks