What's new

Oppo WiFi adapter into a Panasonic TV? (1 Viewer)

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
This morning I got a lightly used Panasonic TC-P65ST30 for $640 off Craigslist (included two pair of Panasonic 3D glasses). There are two gotchas. The TV came with a wall mount but does not have the stand. Sadly wall mounting is not an option in my current room so off I was to hunt down a stand. Panasonic wanted $150 for a new stand but I did find one on ebay for $40, problem solved and Im happy. However the TV also lacked the included WiFi dongle, some people eh? Anyway the pictures of this accessory on the Panasonic web site looks suspiciously like my unused Oppo BDP-93 Wifi adapter. Anyone know if using this Oppo WiFi adapter will work to get the new ST30 online? Would it do any damage to the TV or adapter to try it? Little leery to just try it without first asking.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Nope sadly the Oppo adapter wasnt recoginized. Ah well, it was worth a shot and thanks for the input. Anyone know of a compatible USB wifi adapter for this TV? Panasonic wants $65, Ill run a cable before being raped like that.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I misstyped earlier...

WNCE2001 Netgear

There is also the 3001 if you need dual-band. You can get them inexpensively on Ebay.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Thanks for the clarification and recommendation Sam. Do you stream video and audio with it? PC world stated the 3001 got twitchy with 1080p so just curious.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My Panny isn't "super smart"...as the only app in use is Pandora. There are no video apps. The BD player has no smart features either.

But, the 2001 feeds a Netgear FS605 to a trio of the BD, TV and Directv HD-STB. BD-Live is never interrupted, the TV's cell phone remote app never has problems and the Directv STB sees the NAS..

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Still waiting on my TV stand but got a chance to do some viewing on my new Craigslist special (its sitting on the floor leaned up against the wall). Thought Id share my initial impressions...

Seller had mentioned "light usage" but I didnt have a chance to verify that till today, this 65" panel has seen 3,659 hours of usage and has been powered up 1,149 times. Not bad, certainly not as good as the 1,100 hours my Craigslist special Panasonic 800 had but still pretty good for $640. After resetting the Cinema setting to default (the best setting recommended by Cnet) I fired up Star Trek Nemesis on Netflix using the Oppo. Wow. Black levels are stunning and contrast is amazing, I dont think Ive ever seen blacks that good. Shadow details are unbelievable. Makes my RS60, and certainly the 800U its replacing, look like chump change. Looks like Ill be looking into the High Contrast High Power screen for the JVC projector, Ill want better black performance after using this new plasma. The difference wasnt as drastic between the 800 and High Power screen but this new ST30 is on a whole other level over the JVC and Ill want to up its game. Ugh, it never really ends does it. :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread