What's new

oppo udp 205 connecting to yamaha cx-a5100 with analog outputs (1 Viewer)

frans callebaut

Auditioning
Real Name
frans callebaut
hello,
when i want to connect my yamaha cx-a5100 surround processor multi channel through the multi channel outputs of the oppo udp-205 , do i have to adjust the speaker adjustments on the oppo or will the adjustments i have done on the yamaha will have the perfect results ?

kind regards,

frans callebaut

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
You would want to adjust speaker settings on the Yamaha, as you're just sending a line-level signal from the Oppo to your receiver. Just make sure the Oppo is set to defaults.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You would want to adjust speaker settings on the Yamaha, as you're just sending a line-level signal from the Oppo to your receiver. Just make sure the Oppo is set to defaults.
Dave, I think the question was more about whether the level adjustments already done on the receiver would carry over to the analog 5.1/7.1 inputs. I've never used those inputs, so I wasn't certain if they were carried over or not. I take you are are saying they always are?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The oppo does support level changes, yes. If they are all set to 0.0 offset, then a line level signal is sent

frans callebaut

Auditioning
Real Name
frans callebaut
hello dave and john,
i don't understand very well what i have to do on the oppo to connect it analog to the yamaha. and what about the cross over frequency on the oppo. i have a 5.0.2 system(no subwoofer but big b&w 808 speakers).

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
If you are using the analog outputs of the Oppo, then surround processing will be done on the Oppo. If you use HDMI from the Oppo, surround processing is done on the pre amp.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Frans, I guess my question is, why do you want to use the multi-channel analog outputs from the Oppo? It's a clumsy way to connect everything, and I'm not certain it will gain anything. If you want to take advantage of the Oppo's high quality stereo outputs, I'd connect it's stereo balanced outputs to the Yamaha's balanced inputs (you need balanced cables with XLR connectors) but I don't think you're gaining anything, and losing a lot (Atmos and DTS:X for one) using the multi channel outputs.

I've never used multi-channel inputs, but I'm pretty sure they just pass the signal through, only adjusting the volume. So, any speaker level, distance and crossover settings you have in the Yamaha need to be duplicated in the speaker setup of the Oppo. I can't imagine how it all accomplishes anything beneficial.

frans callebaut

Auditioning
Real Name
frans callebaut
hello john,
thank you for your reply. sacd and dvd-audio are the only sources i intend to use through the analog connections.
all the rest( movies, concerts on dvd and blu-ray, cd's...) i do through HDMI.
best regards,
frans callebaut

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sure, that makes sense. Spending the extra $ on a unit like the 205 for the improved DACs has some complications. The bottom line is, any corrections, levels, distance, crossovers, EQ, etc that you have entered in your preamp's speaker setup will be bypassed when using the multi-channel analog input. So, you need to make adjustments in the Oppo's Multi Channel output menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks