Mike Frezon

Premium
Can someone help me with this?

I was watching a recently purchased Blu-ray disc of American Assassin this afternoon...when, at the 1:16:30 mark the sound muted on its own and an onscreen warning appeared:

A rudimentary Google search reveals this is some kind of copy-protection that is to prevent people from playing ripped copies of movies.

I don't know why this is showing up on my Oppo 203. While it WAS a used disc (purchased at a local shop)...everything about the disc and its package seems legit:

I'm not sure what to do about this. Any ideas?

I kinda want to see the end of the film.

I can't seem to shake the issue. I tried the only things I could think of--cleaning the disc, waiting several minutes, etc.

:angry: This qualifies as a real PITA.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Mike,

I played back my Blu-ray a couple of times and had no issues with my Oppo 203. If it's not a bootleg disc then it's definitely a defective one.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Can someone help me with this?

I was watching a recently purchased Blu-ray disc of American Assassin this afternoon...when, at the 1:16:30 mark the sound muted on its own and an onscreen warning appeared:

A rudimentary Google search reveals this is some kind of copy-protection that is to prevent people from playing ripped copies of movies.

I don't know why this is showing up on my Oppo 203. While it WAS a used disc (purchased at a local shop)...everything about the disc and its package seems legit:

I'm not sure what to do about this. Any ideas?

I kinda want to see the end of the film.

I can't seem to shake the issue. I tried the only things I could think of--cleaning the disc, waiting several minutes, etc.

:angry: This qualifies as a real PITA.
I'm sure the shop has a return policy. Take it back ASAP.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Thx, guys. I guess I'll have to haul it back to the store where I got it. Shouldn't be a problem as they had two or three other used copies sitting there.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Mike's disc is a DVD, if that makes a difference, but shouldn't.

A DVD it is. And that's the disc that gave me the issue. The Blu is in the package. It was on the left-hand side of the case and I just pulled the disc from the right-hand side without thinking.

Can I do a review which makes note that the video on the DVD looks pretty good?!? :oops:

I'll pick up where I left off by viewing the Blu-ray tomorrow and see what happens (time permitting). :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
I'll pick up where I left off by viewing the Blu-ray tomorrow and see what happens (time permitting).
Finished the film by watching the Blu-ray. It played fine.

I've never seen anything like that Cinavia message before. A little unsettling. Made me feel guilty about something which I didn't do (except stupidly watch the DVD in a combo pack when I shoulda been watching the Blu-ray). :rolleyes:

willyTass

Supporting Actor
These guys will fix it for free

[email protected]

if ur bored and enjoy tinkering

just don’t look anywhere near the laser

sometimes just reseating a ribbon cable can work, if not nudge the voltage pot a smidgen

oppo are a top shelf company and are still servicing these UHD players

• Appreciate
Reactions: bujaki

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I have read from a few users at avs , whose players were out of warranty, that the oppo guys fixed it for free . Maybe They got a nice tech on the day. they may charge you postage but I wouldn’t hesitate because they still remain the best UHD players ever made.

Mike Frezon

Premium
I have read from a few users at avs , whose players were out of warranty, that the oppo guys fixed it for free . Maybe They got a nice tech on the day. they may charge you postage but I wouldn’t hesitate because they still remain the best UHD players ever made.
Thanks, Willy. GREAT info. I think that's my best bet. The only local electronics reair shop I ever trusted is long out of business. And, of course, its doubtful they would have been an authorized Oppo shop. I wonder if such a thing exists? No matter. I guess I'll shoot them an e-mail and find out how to get started.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
These guys will fix it for free

[email protected]

if ur bored and enjoy tinkering

just don’t look anywhere near the laser

sometimes just reseating a ribbon cable can work, if not nudge the voltage pot a smidgen

oppo are a top shelf company and are still servicing these UHD players
Same situation here as @Mike Frezon described. Thanks for your input.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco