What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Something like that. My problem is that it's malfunctioning when set to Auto, which is where I've had it since the feature was available and which I believe is the default setting. The only thing that's changed in my setup is the Oppo firmware. Thanks for checking!
I checked both 2001 and The Last Jedi, no issues.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks Robert. So they looked fine with Dolby Vision set to both Auto and Player-led?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
One person's Oppo was bricked and he's going to have to return it to the manufacturer. I guess they'll still service them even though they aren't making them any more.

Ugh. That's scary...and makes me second guess why I approved the firmware upgrade last night (especially since I don't have a 4k display).

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
An update - Oppo has identified this as a problem and provided me with corrected firmware to test in my setup. I should be able to do that tonight and will let you all know if it's been fixed.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I was able to test the new firmware last night and the Dolby Vision problem I experienced has been resolved. No word from Oppo yet on when a public firmware update will be released.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Here's the response from Oppo regarding when new firmware with this fix included might be rolled out:

At the moment, we can't say when the fix will be included in an official firmware as we just released a firmware not too long ago.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OT Service, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Glad I was able to find this thread. Last month I started up Equalizer 2 in my Oppo 203 and noticed the picture was very dark and the colors very saturated. When it first came on noticed the HDR10 in the upper right corner switched to Dolbyvision. Since the disc didn’t have it was sort of surprised. Got another copy which played fine. Okay, thought it was a bad disk and forgot about it. Yesterday I played a new copy of How To Train Your Dragon and the same thing happened. So now I’m thinking there’s a problem with the player. Then today I started the disk five times and it played without a problem. So guessing/hoping that it’s a firmware issue that will be resolved?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Anyone ever have their 203 tray refuse to come out/open? I was away for a while, maybe hadn't used the 203 for a month. Managed to play just one UHD (The Matrix, doubt it matters, but JIC). Got that disc out OK, next day the tray was stuck. Any ideas?

Returning to Oppo may be awkward from Canada now, I really don't know, never done it, always managed to fix my trivial Oppo mechanical issues myself.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I have not, I don't think...I unplugged the player for a while and tried again, that sometimes helps some devices of this "smartness". This started a few days ago, and I'm afraid of pushing the Open button too much, it sounds like there's some straining going on, and it's clearly not going to open...

Anyway, I moved the 203 to the workbench and will open 'er up. I see from some web pics the drive looks a bit "fancier" than my other Oppos, with the drive fully enclosed with a full metal top cover (it looks like), so that might make checking harder. [I recall having a prob once with an 83 that the loose hub piece that grabs the top of the disc was somehow jamming with the lower hub piece (attached to the hub motor) and preventing the whole tray sliding open operation, only when there was no disc in the tray.]

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
They are Mike, but Craig mentioned that he's in Canada and might have issues as a result.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Talk about a non-event (re my stuck tray): I only removed the top cover of the 203 (not of the drive itself) and now the tray opens properly. It's still on the workbench though, I'll take one last look.

I don't know what happened. I speculate a side of the loading tray may have been very slightly touching something, and the slight jostling of moving the player to the workbench loosened it. I do know that the various drive motors have some current-limiting protection so that (theoretically!) you won't burn out a motor if something binds, it won't try to "power through" it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Reminds me of the time I opened up a Beta VCR of mine when it started making an internal noise.

It turned out a Post-It note was stuck to the bottom of a tape when I inserted it into the player. So the note got impaled on the spindle onto which the tape would drop and the Post-It note was then being rubbed up against the internal moving parts of the deck.

I felt pretty dumb...but extremely happy I didn't take the deck into a local repair shop (just to find out how careless I was...or, even worse, to get a hefty bill and NOT get told about how careless I was!).

I bet you are spot on, Craig, about your player. I suspect it will be clear once you reattach the cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks