Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Neil,

Thank you for this information.

I don't like working with thumb drives to upgrade firmware.

I take it that once this firmware is out of beta it will automatically upload to my Oppo if I select firmware upgrade from the machine menu?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Neil,

Thank you for this information.

I don't like working with thumb drives to upgrade firmware.

I take it that once this firmware is out of beta it will automatically upload to my Oppo if I select firmware upgrade from the machine menu?
Just make sure you have the firmware update in Auto and it will upload to your Oppo and will notify that there is a firmware update available.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
You're welcome!

Yes, once it's an approved update and not a public beta your machine can update over the internet. I'm waiting, too.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Any of you Oppo owners taking advantage of the SACD capability. Especially those of you Atmos enabled it seems like a no brainer. I'm considering jumping in, but some of those out of print prices are pretty scary.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
SACD is one of the very reasons I went with an Oppo player, Brian. The 203, though. Not the 205. The 203 was expensive enough!

I wanted to have a single disc player in my system. At one point, I had a Blu player, a DVD/SACD player and a DVD rRecorder all acting as sources in my HT. Now just the Oppo. I gave up on recording DVDs off-air after I got a nice big DVR from Spectrum (six tuners and 1TB of space).

I love the Oppo for that reason. And it sounds great...even though I don't really have an audiophile's set-up.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Any of you Oppo owners taking advantage of the SACD capability. Especially those of you Atmos enabled it seems like a no brainer. I'm considering jumping in, but some of those out of print prices are pretty scary.

Constantly. I have the 205 so I use the onboard DAC for music (AVR for movies). I use 5.1 for the multi-channel (7.1 for movies) and would still even if I had Atmos as that introduces additional non-intended processing. I lean more to the purist way of listening to music by listening to the source as produced.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Don't actually have the 203/205 myself, but...

I do have a small collection of SACDs -- mainly classical music -- and yes, do use my Oppo 95 and 103 for them. Actually bought the 95 (w/ its better DAC that's probably comparable to the 105 and 205, especially for 2-channel playback) used off eBay mainly for music listening via a pair of Senheisser HD600 -- currently still just using my old Yamaha receiver for decent head amp, but plan to switch to a DIY Bottlehead Crack soon.

Yeah, definitely wish there were more available on SACD. Some are going w/ DSD files instead, and you might be able to use your 205(?) w/ such. I haven't tried (yet?) myself...

Alternatively, wish more hirez recordings are released on BD-Audio as well. So far, I've only had 1 such disc containing the entire set of the Takacs Quartet's Beethoven cycle from Decca that came as part of the regular CD boxset reissue...

_Man_

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Updated my 203 to the new firmware last night and it appears that Dolby Vision output is now broken. If I have DV set to Auto or Player-led, I get VERY off-color output that's terribly pixelated. If I have DV set to TV-led it looks fine. Time to file a bug report.

Anyone else experienced this? I have a 2016 65" LG OLED panel and I'm switching through a Yamaha RX-A2080 receiver. All was working perfectly fine until the firmware was updated.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Updated my 203 to the new firmware last night and it appears that Dolby Vision output is now broken. If I have DV set to Auto or Player-led, I get VERY off-color output that's terribly pixelated. If I have DV set to TV-led it looks fine. Time to file a bug report.

Anyone else experienced this? I have a 2016 65" LG OLED panel and I'm switching through a Yamaha RX-A2080 receiver. All was working perfectly fine until the firmware was updated.
Doug,

I have to check which titles were you watching?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I checked two discs Robert - 2001 and The Last Jedi. The problem is apparent from the get-go on the disc menus and continues when playing the feature.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Here's what I'm seeing. Dolby Vision set to TV-led in the first pic (looks fine), and DV set to Auto or Player-led in the second. Bug report has been submitted to Oppo:

IMG_0378.jpg
IMG_0377.jpg

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I went and did a count when I read your post and found out that I have 130 or so multi-channel SACDs and another 100 stereo or mono SACDs. I bought many hybrid discs long before I got my first Oppo and was subsequently pleasantly shocked to hear the sound from well-mastered SACDs on my home theatre set-up, when I decided to upgrade to an audiophile system four years ago! I don't know how many times I'd listened to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here in CD redbook stereo before I heard the SACD multichannel mix! One can easily end up having to take out a second mortgage on the house if one gets addicted to this particular hobby.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I checked two discs Robert - 2001 and The Last Jedi. The problem is apparent from the get-go on the disc menus and continues when playing the feature.

I tried both discs and Auto & TV-led were fine. Player-led did exhibit the color/macroblocking anomalies. Oppo is fed directly into a Vizio P75-C1. I thought Player-led was for Sony TVs or those that needed the low latency DV.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I tried both discs and Auto & TV-led were fine. Player-led did exhibit the color/macroblocking anomalies. Oppo is fed directly into a Vizio P75-C1. I thought Player-led was for Sony TVs or those that needed the low latency DV.

Something like that. My problem is that it's malfunctioning when set to Auto, which is where I've had it since the feature was available and which I believe is the default setting. The only thing that's changed in my setup is the Oppo firmware. Thanks for checking!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I read on another forum that several people have found the new upgrade problematic. One person's Oppo was bricked and he's going to have to return it to the manufacturer. I guess they'll still service them even though they aren't making them any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks