1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Oppo Releases UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave Upton, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Neil,

Thank you for this information.

I don't like working with thumb drives to upgrade firmware.

I take it that once this firmware is out of beta it will automatically upload to my Oppo if I select firmware upgrade from the machine menu?

Neil S. Bulk likes this.
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Just make sure you have the firmware update in Auto and it will upload to your Oppo and will notify that there is a firmware update available.

3. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    You're welcome!

Yes, once it's an approved update and not a public beta your machine can update over the internet. I'm waiting, too.

4. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Any of you Oppo owners taking advantage of the SACD capability. Especially those of you Atmos enabled it seems like a no brainer. I'm considering jumping in, but some of those out of print prices are pretty scary.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

SACD is one of the very reasons I went with an Oppo player, Brian. The 203, though. Not the 205. The 203 was expensive enough!

I wanted to have a single disc player in my system. At one point, I had a Blu player, a DVD/SACD player and a DVD rRecorder all acting as sources in my HT. Now just the Oppo. I gave up on recording DVDs off-air after I got a nice big DVR from Spectrum (six tuners and 1TB of space).

I love the Oppo for that reason. And it sounds great...even though I don't really have an audiophile's set-up.

Bryan^H and PMF like this.
  6. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Constantly. I have the 205 so I use the onboard DAC for music (AVR for movies). I use 5.1 for the multi-channel (7.1 for movies) and would still even if I had Atmos as that introduces additional non-intended processing. I lean more to the purist way of listening to music by listening to the source as produced.

Bryan^H likes this.
  7. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Don't actually have the 203/205 myself, but...

I do have a small collection of SACDs -- mainly classical music -- and yes, do use my Oppo 95 and 103 for them. Actually bought the 95 (w/ its better DAC that's probably comparable to the 105 and 205, especially for 2-channel playback) used off eBay mainly for music listening via a pair of Senheisser HD600 -- currently still just using my old Yamaha receiver for decent head amp, but plan to switch to a DIY Bottlehead Crack soon.

Yeah, definitely wish there were more available on SACD. Some are going w/ DSD files instead, and you might be able to use your 205(?) w/ such. I haven't tried (yet?) myself...

Alternatively, wish more hirez recordings are released on BD-Audio as well. So far, I've only had 1 such disc containing the entire set of the Takacs Quartet's Beethoven cycle from Decca that came as part of the regular CD boxset reissue...

_Man_

Bryan^H likes this.
  8. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer