What's new

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Heh... you don't wanna open yours... and I'm kinda regretting not jumping on buying one when I still could... although I probably would've just gone w/ the 203... :oops:

I put myself on their email waitlist, but nothing's happened w/ that...

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I still have not opened my Oppo UDP-205. This being the last flagship player from Oppo makes me hesitant about tearing into it. I'm treating it like it is some sort of rare antique. Weird, I know.

You're denying yourself a great experience. I've been going back and forth about whether I should sell my Oppo 203 and acquire the Panasonic UB820 as it does appear to have the edge for HDR content. Margins look great on eBay for the 203 but yet I haven't been able to part with it. It really is a beautiful machine.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If I were lucky enough to afford that UDP-205, I'd be up all night long on a sleepless adrenaline high while awaiting for the arrival of my carrier's truck. And I would also call in sick. After all, I wouldn't be able to focus on my duties; being totally consumed and chomping at the bit to get back home to set it all up. Hell, I'd be sampling every favorite disc; some for PQ and others for audio. Maybe, just maybe, after 48 hours of being awake, I might take a nap...but I'd only end up sleep-walking back to that Holy Grail.:)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
You're denying yourself a great experience. I've been going back and forth about whether I should sell my Oppo 203 and acquire the Panasonic UB820 as it does appear to have the edge for HDR content. Margins look great on eBay for the 303 but yet I haven't been able to part with it. It really is a beautiful machine.

I'm with you John. I thought that I might as well sell my 203 since I'm mostly using it for region free Blu-ray playback. Bought a cheap ($160) LG region free player, which looks remarkably good, and posted my 203 for sale on eBay. Within a day I had 24 people watching the auction and one guy offered me $900 for it. At the end of the day though I couldn't part with it and ended the listing. I might as well just keep it. :) I also agree that the 820 (and the UB900 before it) beats the Oppo on PQ. It's close, but noticeable.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...] I also agree that the 820 (and the UB900 before it) beats the Oppo on PQ. It's close, but noticeable.
But how does everything compare concerning the audio?
And does an 820 have the capabilities of being turned into a Region-Free?
As a kid, I would cry, "I want my Maypo";
but decades later its become, "I want my Oppo".:)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't utilize the analog audio side of the 203 so it's a moot point for me. All audio is bitstreamed to my Yamaha RX-A2080 receiver via HDMI, and in that scenario audio from the Oppo and the Panasonic are identical. However, the 820 doesn't have the multichannel analog outputs that 203 has. For that you have to move up to the new 9000 or the older UB900. The UB900 could be modified to be region free, but only with hacked firmware. AFAIK there is no region free hardware mod available for Panasonic players.

Reactions: PMF

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It's a bummer the 820's missing some key features of the Oppo though.

For me, it's affordable (or included) region-free mod and SACD (and multi-channel analog out to go w/ the latter... though I suppose analog out is a tad bit less of an issue since this isn't meant to succeed something like the Oppo 205). Originally, I wanted to use the Oppo's HDMI-in, but the 203 (probably like the 103) probably wouldn't be great for that anyway, so probably a non-issue for most...

For the price, I'd definitely want region-free mod-ability/capability and decent SACD/DSD (and maybe FLAC, etc) playback included... Otherwise, I'd still need to keep the old Oppo 103 fully functional in the same system... and only gain 4K HDR playback for a very small collection of discs (if/when/as I upgrade)...

_Man_

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Still in box in mint condition. :P

toy-story-2.jpg

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
But how does everything compare concerning the audio?
And does an 820 have the capabilities of being turned into a Region-Free?
As a kid, I would cry, "I want my Maypo";
but decades later its become, "I want my Oppo".:)

Yea, like @dpippel I have no use for the audio outs on my 203 but the fact that it even includes them says something.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Future-proofing a player that's no longer in production. The mind boggles.

I think it's super smart of them. The cost to do this is minimal and it strengthens an already rock solid reputation. If they ever decided to reenter the HT market I would be standing in line to buy.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Latest Firmware Update:
Main Version UDP20X-60-0625 Release Date: June 29, 2018
  1. Added the Dolby Vision “Player-led processing” mode for compatibility with recent Sony Dolby Vision TVs and firmware updates.
  2. Added the “Dolby Vision” mode under the HDR Setting menu, which allows the player to convert the output to Dolby Vision when possible.
  3. Added the “Dolby Vision Processing” setting under the HDR Setting menu. This setting allows customers to choose whether Dolby Vision processing is handled mainly by the TV or the UDP-20x player...
I've a question about the "Dolby Vision" on-screen announcement that pops up with every disc. My display is a 2017 LG OLED which has always displayed "Dolby Vision" in black lettering in a white box in the upper right corner of the screen when a either a DV disc starts up or a streaming program from the LG's apps is utilizing DV . After a few months of 4K viewing, a similar "Dolby Vision" announcement in white lettering in a black box began appearing in the upper left corner with any 4K disc employing DV. While my Denon AVR might be generating the second announcement, I suspect that it's coming from my Oppo 203. The behavior may have started with the DV firmware update last summer. At any rate, are others seeing the same thing? Is there any way to disable either of the notices?

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
OPPO UDP-20X 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update

This release is for the OPPO UDP-20x 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc Player.

Comparing to the current Official release version UDP20X-60-0625, the major changes included in this version are:

1. Added the HDR10+ support. A HDR10+ enabled TV is required to view content in HDR10+.
  2. Added the "HDMI IN BYPASS" mode for Dolby Vision passthrough via HDMI In.
  3. General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-64-1221B.aspx

Note this is a public beta and not an official final release.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks