What's new

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'm alive! lol

The player showed up on Friday. Aside from a moment where I accidentally connected the wrong HDMI cables, it works like a dream. I got in the external mod I ordered on Saturday, so I can finally relax and enjoy the sweet, sweet functionality of the UDP-203.

My wife seems okay with it. At least divorce hasn't been spoken aloud and I haven't received any calls or letters from lawyers.
I believe that drafts from lawyers are written on Mondays, so give it a couple of more days.:lol:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Brian Kidd, your Horoscope says that its a good time to approach a loved one on the topic of having another child.:dancing-banana-04:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Well, then, if that's the case; you'll need to get the other HDMI kit at your local pharmacy;
aka, Home Detector Maternity Instrument.
Let's just say that I'm secure in my belief that a baby is not in our future unless an angel shows up and gives me some startling news. If that happens, I'm hitting the talk show circuit, writing a book, and upgrading my home theater even further with the proceeds.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
You just know that researchers are going to have a field day trying to figure out the real reason for an increased birth rate this year :rolling-smiley:

Regards,

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
You just know that researchers are going to have a field day trying to figure out the real reason for an increased birth rate this year :rolling-smiley:

Regards,
And that very same statistic will also chart an abrupt drop in the following year, due to the discontinued status of the 205 and 203; which is the HTF equivalent to the Kubrick and Clark monolith.:cool:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
A funny thing happened on the way to the 4K.
Of course, I am inching my way towards a 4K panel (and hopefully an Oppo); but until then I have the Sony 4K player as a first step and/or component.
I was watching "Dunkirk". I was so blown away by how impressive the regular BD had looked upon my pitiful 1080 panel. (and yes, I had bought the 4K/BD package for future proofing).
The following day, it had occurred to me that I had unwittingly placed the actual 4K/UHD disc in the player. Yes, I had heard that a BD placed in a 4K player could feasibly eek out a better picture on a 1080 display; but I wasn't aware that a 4K disc could be seen, as well. All along, I had thought that a 4K disc would only show itself when paired with the 4K panel.
Could anyone provide additional information or data as to what I'm actually seeing and/or hearing? In other words, what do we have here when a 4K player and a 4K disc are being displayed through the 1080 panel?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
You're seeing the downconverted 2160p image in 1080p and stripped of its HDR metadata now showing in Rec. 709 (Standard Dynamic Range). On some panels the image comes out darker without its HDR while other players and panels work together well to produce a beautiful image.

Quite a few people do this because some studios only put the Dolby Atmos/DTS:X tracks on the UHD disc, and if someone wants that but isn't 4K ready, they have no alternative.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
You're seeing the downconverted 2160p image in 1080p and stripped of its HDR metadata now showing in Rec. 709 (Standard Dynamic Range). On some panels the image comes out darker without its HDR while other players and panels work together well to produce a beautiful image.

Quite a few people do this because some studios only put the Dolby Atmos/DTS:X tracks on the UHD disc, and if someone wants that but isn't 4K ready, they have no alternative.
Thanks, Matt. It feels like an altogether happy accident. I'm sensing certain benefits, to be sure.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

It has now been posted as a public beta.

Proceed with caution if you are in a non-HDR/DV system. There is a bug with DV to SDR conversion that will result in significant image flicker. I discovered this with The Last Jedi; my only DV disc to date.

There is a work around ; set the output to 1080p/60. It has been reported back to Oppo via normal users and at least one beta tester that posts at AVS.

I am still in a 1080p world, but went with a 4K machine and a few 4K discs to take advantage of Atmos in cases where the studios withhold Atmos from the standard BR. Sucks that they do that. Sucks that I grab my ankles and play along. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Latest Firmware Update:

Main Version UDP20X-60-0625

Release Date: June 29, 2018

Loader Version:
TF0035

MCU Version:
MCU203-01-1118 (UDP-203), MCU205-01-1220 (UDP-205)

Download/Installation

Release Notes:

1. Added the Dolby Vision “Player-led processing” mode for compatibility with recent Sony Dolby Vision TVs and firmware updates.
  2. Added the “Dolby Vision” mode under the HDR Setting menu, which allows the player to convert the output to Dolby Vision when possible.
  3. Added the “Dolby Vision Processing” setting under the HDR Setting menu. This setting allows customers to choose whether Dolby Vision processing is handled mainly by the TV or the UDP-20x player.
  4. Added MQA support via the USB DAC In for the UDP-205 players. (More info can be found in the “USB DAC Firmware” section on the UDP-205 support page.)
  5. Added the “Up-Sample DAC Input” setting under the Audio Processing menu for the UDP-205.
  6. General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I still have not opened my Oppo UDP-205. This being the last flagship player from Oppo makes me hesitant about tearing into it. I'm treating it like it is some sort of rare antique. Weird, I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks