Oppo DV971H or '70H w/a Sony 34" CRT HDTV (KD-34XBR970)?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ncstatesman, Aug 24, 2006.

1. ncstatesman

ncstatesman Extra

Hello,

I am hearing so many good things abouth these 2 players from OPPO and I was wondering if these are well suited for viewing DVDs on a Sony 34" CRT HDTV (KD-34XBR970) - can you fine folks offer me your opinions on this?

Thanks!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Should work great. It won't give you as much benefit as it would with a larger screen with the upconversion, but it should still look great on there. I'd go with the 971H via DVI out (they include a DVI-HDMI adapter cable). I have a 34" Sony CRT also [​IMG] I don't own either Oppo, but I know they are great players.

3. ncstatesman

ncstatesman Extra

Hey john, glad to hear it as I have not yet ordered the 34" sony hdtv crt or the oppo . . . I tried to find a new KD-34XBR960, but the could not find one from a trustworthy online dealer, so i plan to locally buy the KD-34XBR970 instead as this would be my "cheap" entry-level ticket into the hdtv world. . i plan to use both the sony hdtv tube CRT and the oppo until at least the blue-ray vs HD-DVD dust settles

Which model sony model do u have and how do u like it?

Anybody else using the sony hdtv tube with the oppo's?

4. John Garcia

John
    I have an HS510 that I got for a steal on a holiday sale. I've been extremely happy with the TV. I like the XBRs better, but I couldn't pass that up. I run a Denon 2900 with it and it looks great.

5. ncstatesman

ncstatesman Extra

Thanks for the input . . . . based on what I'm hearing, this looks like a very good choice . . . .

. . . . MY ONLY CONCERN: just when I purchase the 971, a new, better, model will be released! Does anyone know when OPPO will release a new model???

6. John Garcia

John
    The 970 is the new model; just came out a month or two ago. I haven't heard anything about them replacing the 971 yet. I haven't seen one yet, but the AH review of it said it was not quite as good as the 971H as a stand alone player (it is a lower model after all).

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The 970 uses a different (less superior) deinterlacer and scaler than the 971. However, the 970 will not produce macroblocking while the 971 can depending on display/calibration. The 970 also offers respectable 480p component output.

There is a replacement coming for the 971 anytime now. The only difference will be HDMI, SACD, and black. Everything else should be the same.