What's new

Oppo DV971H -- A review (1 Viewer)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I haven't calibrated with my DVE disc yet. I'll check the pluge issue soon.

I upgraded with the 0228 firmware and it helped the jittery playback a little. I am going to upgrade with the new firmware (0302) which should resolve the issue since it rolls back the audio/video synching upgrade (which I didn't have a problem with to begin with).

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Oppo Digital emailed me and said that the minor fimware they just released is exactly the same as the interim firmware 0228. So, if you already upgraded, no need to get the new minor release.

greg_t

Screenwriter
0302 adds back things that 0228 took away, I can't remember what they were though. They are currently using a beta of 0313, so it probably won't be long before a new offical release is out.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I'll have to check. It was posted on their website not too long ago. Why replace one firmware with another one if it is the exact same? Makes no sense. They were differences, I just can't remember what. I'll have to do some looking around for the differences.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I checked the Oppo website as well as the AVS forum before emailing Oppo Digital. I don't think they'd lie or try to mislead me as a consumer just to save on postage.

Let me know what you find.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I did some looking on the AVS forum and 0302 has the UDF fix which the 0228 did not. There is an error in all the official firmware which will make the Explorer text become garbage once you stop, or crash, playback on files which have been UDF ISO mastered. This is not a big deal fix, but it is not implemented in the 0228. Apparently they are the same video wise. I thought there were some video differences but apparently not. I would agree that the UDF fix is probably not a big deal. But even so, they are not exactly the same. Why would they release two different firmware versions that were they exact same? They would be no sense in it.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Me too. The oppo is a great player, and their support is the top. Hopefuly the next firmware can fix the few remaining video issues.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Agreed. I'm sure they're hard at work as we speak.

By the way, have you calibrated your player with DVE, Avia, or THX? I used the THX optimizer off of the Sith DVD and plan to recalibrate with my DVE disc. I don't really like the DVE disc -- I find it hard to use.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I use DVE. I'm getting better at finding my way through it. I am still having an issue where my blacks are not produced correctly. This weekend I am going to hook my panny S55 back up to make sure that it is the player producing the erroneous blacks and not the display.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I have DVE and Avia, although I find Avia a little easier to use and navigate. The problem with THX optimzer is that they are "optimized" for each individual film.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I am using the DVI connection and calibration was difficult. I just don't like the DVE disc. For example, when I tested the brightness, I put it all the way up and saw no blooming. I returned it to the previous setting as found by THX Optimizer. The same happened with contrast and color.

The audio calibration section is pretty solid, though.

I wish DVE would provide on-screen text instructions for calibration, a la THX Optimizer. They give audio clues but then you're on your own when trying it. I want a calibration disc that states in writing (on screen) "set the brightness level so you can barely see this..."

Does Avia do the same thing or do they give you a little help?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Brett,

You will likely not see blooming with Brightness and Color; that happens with Contrast. Also, it depends on your display type. Blooming is typically with CRT only.

DVE will be far more accurate than THX. THX is usually only good for that particular disc.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just got a 971 and am happy with it except for the fact occasionally there's a loud whirring noise when the disc loads or when accessing different parts of the disc. I sent an email to Oppo Service but was wondering if anyone has had the same experience.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

I've scoured this thread and all other threads I could find regarding the Oppo 971 and I haven't found the answer, so I'm going to ask the same question.

I recently got this DVD player and absolutely love it. I've thoroughly gone over the manual and read everything on the Oppo website and I can find no mention of region-coding. It says the player will play PAL discs but nothing about region coding. (Perhaps there are legal reasons why Oppo can't tell us it is region-free?)

Is the player region-free? My player came with the latest firmware already installed. There are several region-2 DVDs I would like to buy. But I want to know for sure my player will play them before I go to the trouble and expense of buying them from overseas.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Mark-P,

The region-free hack is easy to find on the lengthy AVS Forum thread. Apparently this hack works for both the 971 and the 970 (which I'm getting):

Setup-9210-0-Setup

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks