OPPO Digital's DV-970hd vs OPDV971H

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by GreatBOTT, Sep 22, 2006.

1. GreatBOTT

GreatBOTT Auditioning

Sep 21, 2006
    So... this OPPO Digital has got the looks down, do any of you hardcore home theater people know anything about these babies?

The 970hd is $149 http://www.oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd.html; and the 971H is $199 http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html - not much of a price difference. [​IMG]

I'm just getting my theater started, Bose stereo system (older but still great) and a 42" plasma. I have never really spent too much on a DVD player and perhaps this is why they keep breaking?

Has anyone heard of Coby DVD players?! Didn't think so. [​IMG]

Any suggestions or reveiws of OPPO would be GREAT.
  2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Nov 21, 2003
    In short, the 971 has the better deinterlacing chips but the 970 is no slouch over either HDMI or component. The 970 also plays SACD while the 917 does not. A search of this section of the forum will turn up numerous in depth reviews. Either will work well with your new PDP.

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Aug 13, 2000
    What is your display? Selecting the "correct" Oppo is largely display dependent.

I've used both players -- I stuck with the 970. The reason being is I could not get rid of the mild macroblocking on the 971...despite thorough calibration. Also, I found the 971 just slightly too much on the soft side --- though this is display dependent. The 970 has no macroblocking, is a bit sharper, and might be better for 1080i output. The Faroudja chip seem to be a bit better for progressive outputs (480p, 720p).

The 971 does have better deinterlacing as will be seen on test patterns. However, for viewing "real life" Region 1 film-based DVDs I see no issues with the 970. If you watch a lot of different video-based or PAL material, you might run into some picture quality issues.