OPPO Digital OPDV971H help.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by davidRivera, Mar 21, 2006.

1. davidRivera

davidRivera Auditioning

I found the following review on cnet.com about the OPPO Digital OPDV971H:

"Plasma owners beware. Player underscans, but firware updates are prolific."

This is my first post. I am a novice in the Home Theater dept. What does this person mean by the player underscanning? Can that do some kind of damage to the plasma? If it can, I don't see how it could and I need some explaining. Is this guy talking about that since I have a plasma with this player it will not be used to it's full potential? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. christianCA

christianCA Auditioning

i have no idea...[​IMG]

3. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

On some plasmas (and other displays) the player does not fill the entire screen. It's almost unnoticable, but it will have a border running around it of a few pixels. Overscan is when the pic is bigger than the screen, underscan is when the pic is smaller than the screen.

I have a plasma, and the oppo does not underscan on mine. I also have feeling that the people who warn most about underscanning are afraid to go into their service menu, where there usually is an option to fix it.

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The concern with underscanning would be burn-in. Black border in the picture area rather than in the area under the bezel.

5. davidRivera

davidRivera Auditioning

Thanks Ronn.