What's new

Oppo BDP-93 & BDP-95 3D Blu-Ray Players (First Look) (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney

I'm unsure whether it's a fad or not, but I'm in the same boat. I have absolutely no interest in 3D and wish Oppo would release a player with the advanced upscaling chipset, but without the 3D at a cheaper price (if that's at all possible).

Yes, I know it's the same price as the 3D-less BDP-83, but I'd gladly buy another Oppo unit (when it comes time to replace the upstairs TV) without 3D if it were less expensive, as long as it had at least the Anchor Bay chipset from the BDP-83.

I think you are going to start seeing 3D as a "standard feature" going forward with more and more players. Panasonic has a new $249.00 3D player with dual HDMI outputs and built in Wi-Fi (DMP-BDT310). We just got a sample and will start working on a review this week.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

I think you are going to start seeing 3D as a "standard feature" going forward with more and more players. Panasonic has a new $249.00 3D player with dual HDMI outputs and built in Wi-Fi (DMP-BDT310). We just got a sample and will start working on a review this week.

I was afraid of that. Too bad Oppo either can't (or won't) offer a more budget-priced unit like they did last time around. Again, I don't know if leaving out the 3D and networking stuff would save them enough money to change the price all that much for a budget model (and maybe subbing their new graphics chip with the perfectly-fine Anchor Bay chip they had in the BDP-83), but it was just a thought.

Will probably be a little while before I need a second BR player anyway.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney

I was afraid of that. Too bad Oppo either can't (or won't) offer a more budget-priced unit like they did last time around. Again, I don't know if leaving out the 3D and networking stuff would save them enough money to change the price all that much for a budget model (and maybe subbing their new graphics chip with the perfectly-fine Anchor Bay chip they had in the BDP-83), but it was just a thought.

Will probably be a little while before I need a second BR player anyway.
There may be some licensing costs associated with streaming services (not sure), I don't think adding 3D costs anymore. For a small company like Oppo, taking features off to save money might actually cost them too much money for design, engineering, marketing, etc. I would be surprised to see a stripped down model without those features, especially because it wouldn't be that competitive against all the other players at that price point.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Senator Miah

Any other thoughts from users that have gone the 95 route? Is it worth the extra cash over the 93?
How are you going to hook it up? If you are going to be using HDMI out there is no difference.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Based on the threads you have started I doubt it has features you have any interest in.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller

Any other thoughts from users that have gone the 95 route? Is it worth the extra cash over the 93?

So my friend (Mostly Audiofile) just returned his 95. One of the big differences is that the 95 has a fan where the 93 does not. He returned it because of the fan noise

RobSis

Auditioning
Originally Posted by dmiller68

So my friend (Mostly Audiofile) just returned his 95. One of the big differences is that the 95 has a fan where the 93 does not. He returned it because of the fan noise

Interesting....did he have anything to say about the audio quality? I'm assuming the fan noise created a problem in quiet passages? Did he get a 93 instead?

Senator Miah

Agent
Real Name
Jeremiah

How are you going to hook it up? If you are going to be using HDMI out there is no difference.
I am waiting to buy a new receiver this fall, once DTS Neo:X is released, so I could easily ensure that the receiver has 7.1 inputs to take advantage of the DAC. As I understand the differences though between the 93 and 95, the 95 has the SABRE32 Reference Audio DAC and the Rotel toroidal power transformer as the main differences (and the fan). Is that a fair assessment of the differences?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Jeremiah, you are going in circles. You will not be able to use DTS Neo;X with the 7.1 analog outputs.

Senator Miah

Agent
Real Name
Jeremiah
Originally Posted by JohnRice

Jeremiah, you are going in circles. You will not be able to use DTS Neo;X with the 7.1 analog outputs.
Yes, as I understand it, the DTS Neo:X will most likely run through the HDMI, but I could still use the 7.1/5.1 analog outputs to get the full musical quality out of my SACDs and enrich the the playback of my CD's via the stereo outs, correct? My understanding is that the 95 has selective output, so I could have everything hooked up and then just select the output method based on the source.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Yes, as I understand it, the DTS Neo:X will most likely run through the HDMI, but I could still use the 7.1/5.1 analog outputs to get the full musical quality out of my SACDs and enrich the the playback of my CD's via the stereo outs, correct? My understanding is that the 95 has selective output, so I could have everything hooked up and then just select the output method based on the source.

Why would you want to take a digital signal, convert it to analog in the BD player, then have the AVR convert it back to digital for processing, then have the AVR convert it back to analog for output to the speakers? The A to D conversion in the AVR will negate any advantage the high quality converters in the Oppo gave you. Why not just take a digital signal direct from the BD player though the AVR with just one conversion to analog?

If you were using tube amps or an analog only preamp I can see spending the money for the higher quality analog output. But if you are hooking this up to a receiver, even a high quality one, there are going to be lower quality A to D conversions happening in the receiver to get the signal digital again for processing.

Not only will the player be more expensive, but you are going to need to spend a lot more money on high quality 7.1 analog cables, at least $100 where a digital connection via HDMI will be less than $10.

Based on everything you have said about the system you want to buy, get the 93.

Senator Miah

Agent
Real Name
Jeremiah

Why would you want to take a digital signal, convert it to analog in the BD player, then have the AVR convert it back to digital for processing, then have the AVR convert it back to analog for output to the speakers? The A to D conversion in the AVR will negate any advantage the high quality converters in the Oppo gave you. Why not just take a digital signal direct from the BD player though the AVR with just one conversion to analog?

If you were using tube amps or an analog only preamp I can see spending the money for the higher quality analog output. But if you are hooking this up to a receiver, even a high quality one, there are going to be lower quality A to D conversions happening in the receiver to get the signal digital again for processing.

Not only will the player be more expensive, but you are going to need to spend a lot more money on high quality 7.1 analog cables, at least $100 where a digital connection via HDMI will be less than $10.

Based on everything you have said about the system you want to buy, get the 93.

As I mentioned in another thread, I am admittedly an aspiring audiophile with much to learn. I do plan to amp my system using the Emotiva XPA line, (sparked by users of this forum, my additional research finds that it's the winning line in the bang for the buck category), so in order to fully capture the sound range of the 95, I would need to hook the 95 directly to the unbalanced input on the XPA amp to route the sound directly to the speakers?

I am trying to pick out the necessary pieces for system, but I'm still learning as I go here. DTS reps have suggested that in Q3 of this year, Onyko/Integra will release both a Pre/Pro and an A/V Receiver that will offer offer DTS Neo:X and based on suggestion of users like JohnRice on this board, I am now leaning toward the former option with amps. I have had the opportunity to demo several systems at high-end audio retailers in my area and have been very impressed with the sound of the Pre/Pro and amp setup. I demoed with my Dark Side of the Moon SACD and was amazed by how full and immersive the sound was, and the amps were labeled, in two of the cases, at the same power rating as the A/V receiver per channel, but the amped speakers sounded superior, especially at louder listening levels.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
He did love the audio quality but the noise from the fan just broke the deal. I do not believe that he bought the 93. I'll find out what way he went.

Originally Posted by RobSis

Interesting....did he have anything to say about the audio quality? I'm assuming the fan noise created a problem in quiet passages? Did he get a 93 instead?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Senator Miah , so you need something in the middle. Just about any product made today with the sophisticated DSP that you want (DTS, etc) is going to do everything in the digital domain, even when you have "pure" or "direct mode" turned on. The BD-95 is designed for analog systems. Everything else you have said you wanted here is at the heart a digital system. It doesn't make sense to go from D to A (super high quality) to A to D (mid quality) to D to A (mid quality) when you can just go from D to A. If you really, really, really, really want to spend the extra money on the BD-95 and you can afford it great! You just aren't going to get any more out of it sonically than you would the BD-93 for your application.

Now not to muddy the waters on your amp choice, have you considered the Outlaw Model 7900? It is highly recommended that you have two dedicated electrical circuits for it. It is amazing 145lb beast rated at 300WPC x7 into 8Ohms, 450x7 4Ohms. 24 output devices ad 36,000 mf of capacitance PER CHANNEL mean its always got more than enough power for whatever you want to throw at it.

Senator Miah

Agent
Real Name
Jeremiah
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich , so you need something in the middle. Just about any product made today with the sophisticated DSP that you want (DTS, etc) is going to do everything in the digital domain, even when you have "pure" or "direct mode" turned on. The BD-95 is designed for analog systems. Everything else you have said you wanted here is at the heart a digital system. It doesn't make sense to go from D to A (super high quality) to A to D (mid quality) to D to A (mid quality) when you can just go from D to A. If you really, really, really, really want to spend the extra money on the BD-95 and you can afford it great! You just aren't going to get any more out of it sonically than you would the BD-93 for your application.

Now not to muddy the waters on your amp choice, have you considered the Outlaw Model 7900? It is highly recommended that you have two dedicated electrical circuits for it. It is amazing 145lb beast rated at 300WPC x7 into 8Ohms, 450x7 4Ohms. 24 output devices ad 36,000 mf of capacitance PER CHANNEL mean its always got more than enough power for whatever you want to throw at it.

Okay, so revealing my total noob status, what would I need in the middle to control the sound and take advantage of the 95's features?

I just checked out the Outlaw model you suggested...WOW. That thing's a monster. Even my upgraded speakers cannot handle that beast (4 Ohm, 400 watt max). I will however be giving the 7700, serious consideration. Thanks for the tip. I take it you have tried and liked Outlaw amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks