1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Oppo BDP-93 & BDP-95 3D Blu-Ray Players (First Look)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SWFF, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Thanks, John. That is helpful. My old Sony has actually balked at loading a couple of BD discs on first attempt lately, and needed the discs ejected and reloaded in order to be read. I fear that I may need a new player sooner rather than later. I have an Oppo SD-DVD player that I really like, but $500 for something that I will only use a small percentage of the features is more than I really want to spend right now. I've had good luck with Panny SD-DVD players, so the BD85 is an attractive option for me.

2. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    while the panasonic 85 is a bit faster then most. its still slow on some stuff. the oppo 93 is very fast on most everything including netflix and bdlive.

Jacob

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

That is good to know, Jacob. Fortunately, neither Netflix streaming nor BDLive interest me.

4. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    good luck with the panasonic 85.

Jacob

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Well, early sales of the BDP-95 were sold out in about 12 hours. I hesitated. Now I wait. The 93 was available for a couple weeks.

6. johnbair

johnbair Auditioning

johnbair
    Building Your List with Give Away Ventures

With the awareness of the importance of list building, comes a recent Internet Marketing trend which was started just a couple of years ago for the mutual benefits of all Internet Marketers and mailing list owners.

This method is more recognized as a “starting a Give Away venture”.

In a real sense, a Give Away event is much like a big time version of ad swaps. In a nutshell, a group of mailing list owners partner together and pool in their individual gifts in one limited-time event.

Each participating partner contributes a gift to the event. The gift can be a free product, membership pass or a product he is already selling (if he is kind enough to offer into the event).

The participating partner prepares a Lead Capture Page where he gives the gift in exchange for the subscriber’s email address. In other words, in order for a visitor to download the digital gift, he must opt in and subscribe to your mailing list.

When the gifts are pooled together into one event (site), every partner will then endorse the Give Away event to their own mailing lists.

The result: lots of visitors to one event as a collective effort of several participating partners!

With so many visitors downloading gifts from one focused event, it is a true win-win situation. This is because the visitors get to download several free gifts for their own use and every partner gets to build their own mailing list!

You can easily get notified about a Give Away event in the making by communicating with other Internet Marketers often or participating in Internet Marketing discussion and Joint Venture boards.

www.explosivecashins.com
    John Bair

7. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    there is a beta firmware update for the oppo 93. click on the link below.

Jacob

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/blu-ray-BDP-93-Support.aspx

8. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

Mark Romero
    I will be ordering one next week to replace my Panasonic BD-10.

9. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    I received a BDP-95 last week and it is checking out to be a super machine. Analog out audio is outstanding.

10. RobSis

RobSis Auditioning

I just got a 93 from Oppo with the new firmware....fantastic! I can't believe how much better the pic is than my old Panny 60...well worth the money, IMHO!

11. dany

dany Supporting Actor

D
    Can someone explain just how the 2 HDMI's from the 93 might work with my Denon 3808 for SACD/DVD-A firstly and then everything else.

12. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I guess the Denon universal is pre-HDMI 1.4 (i.e. 1.2 or 1.3)? If you had a 3D TV you could run one output from the Oppo directly to the TV and get 3D and then have the other into the Denon to get SACD and DVD-A and the hi-rez audio from Blu-Ray. Also, if you decided to get an outboard DAC for music you could run one of the Oppo outputs into an HDMI audio de-embedder and then into the DAC and the other to the TV. It's probably designed more for the person who has bought a 3D TV but has pre HDMI 1.4 in a preamp/processor or receiver and doesn't want to ditch the preamp/processor or receiver.

13. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    "Can someone explain just how the 2 HDMI's from the 93 might work with my Denon 3808 for SACD/DVD-A firstly and then everything else."

Not exactly sure what you're asking but if it's related to the 2 hdmi outputs some people like to send the video straight to the display so one output would go to the receiver for audio and one to the projector or other display for video.

More and more receivers are also coming out with dual hdmi outputs. But you have to be carefull here. Not all of them output the signals to both hdmi outputs at the same time. You have to go into the setup menu and select which one you want to use.

14. dany

dany Supporting Actor

D
    Well in the end I'm trying to figure out if the 93 is worth it to me or the $100 cheaper Denon 1611. I can care less about the 3d fad and video is secondary to my audio. I care about DVD-A/SACD/CD/DTS/Blu-Ray audio. My receiver is still pretty good{Denon 3808} so is it worth 100 bucks for 2 HDMI's and from what I've read a bit better build quality.

15. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    One little bit of convenience with 2 hdmi outputs is that you can run them both to the receiver with different configurations. One for a music input with the configuration or listening mode you want for music and another for movies with a different configuration.

16. dany

dany Supporting Actor

D
    Different configuration for each HDMI is pretty cool.

17. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

So, are Oppo only going to do 3D players now? I'd like to purchase another player like my BDP-83, but without the 3D 'bells and whistles' if it were less money. Since the BDP-93 is retailing for the same price as the 83, I guess adding 3D doesn't add that much 'cost' at their end to make it worthwhile to release a model without it...

18. dany

dany Supporting Actor

D
    I have zero interest in 3D. As of now I still think it's a fad and will leave faster then Hi-Res.

19. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I'm unsure whether it's a fad or not, but I'm in the same boat. I have absolutely no interest in 3D and wish Oppo would release a player with the advanced upscaling chipset, but without the 3D at a cheaper price (if that's at all possible).

Yes, I know it's the same price as the 3D-less BDP-83, but I'd gladly buy another Oppo unit (when it comes time to replace the upstairs TV) without 3D if it were less expensive, as long as it had at least the Anchor Bay chipset from the BDP-83.

20. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    So today I received my MOD KIT from bluraychip.dk. In all it took
    about three weeks to receive from ship date.

The main reason I wanted to modify my BDP-93 is because I have

a few imported DVDs -- one of which is the Laurel and Hardy shorts

boxset out of the UK. When inserting one of these discs I got the

following screen.....

I went ahead and began the mod kit install this morning, first

removing the top plate screws from the sides and back.

Installation was a little confusing at first, but once I matched

everything up to the install documents I downloaded from the

bluraychip.dk website, I was able to figure out all the connections.

Screwed the top plate back on, pressed 1 on the remote to power

up and inserted my Laurel and Hardy DVD....

Voila! My UK DVD played perfectly in the player.

Thus far I don't see any problems with normal BD playback.

All in all, for the moment, I would say that this MOD kit works

very well.