What's new

Oppo BDP-93 & BDP-95 3D Blu-Ray Players (First Look) (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
1. How are the disc load times? I have an old Sony BDP-S350 that is fairly slow, and am interested in upgrading to something much faster.

it does take a bit to boot up the first time.. its very fast once its going.

2. How does the SD-DVD upscaling compare with the Oppo BDP-83?

to me its about the same. some might find it better then the 83.

3. You mentioned issues with non-anamorphic SD-DVD's -- specifically The Abyss. I thought the player was supposed to have an advanced scaler to handle these types of discs? they are looking to fixing the problem. its more about reading the disc wrong.

Jacob

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hasn't anyone else gotten a beta unit yet? I keep getting the urge to bite the bullet, then backing off.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Looking at the Oppo website, it appears that the unit is not yet available for purchase. I'm hoping it's for sale via Amazon soon after the holidays, as I usually get some Amazon gift certificates as X-mas gifts and would like to use them towards this player.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
People who signed up to be notified when it is available were offered the opportunity to Purchase an early unit with beta software. I keep resisting the urge to get one.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
you are certainly welcome to the darkside. in all seriousness its a fine player. its better then most players that are released. yes there are a few bugs, and hopefully oppo will have it ready when its released. certainly happy to answer any other questions anyone might have.

Jacob

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm curious how "clunky" the drive sounds. That seems like a common BR issue (a minor one) that the drive makes a lot of noticeable noise while loading.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've blown such an obscene amount of money on movies and music the last couple of months I'll just have to wait on the Oppo.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I was able to save up some money for it. plus it was birthday in october. I did wait on a few blu ray titles until later. I was able to get the player on opening day. it was really cool. after having such a great success with the 83. I knew that I wanted to be early next time.

Jacob

fanlynne

Auditioning
Real Name
lynne
The new player is beautiful, with a brushed aluminum face plate and flush buttons. The tray even retracts so tightly into the front that it is virtually hidden when closed (note photos below). The connections on the back should look familiar, though Oppo has added a second HDMI that works off the circuitry powering the component video output - and it functions much in the same way, when it's not being used as a dedicated audio output or mirrored HDMI out. This is an attractive player.

cartier watches

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I need a new 3D Blu-ray player for 2011 with dual HDMI

out capability.

I was going to go with the new Panasonic models due out

in January, but then thought that perhaps I should just splurge

and get the Oppo BDP-93.

My decision to go with Oppo heavily depends on whether

it can be modified to play other region DVDs including PAL.

I already have an Oppo that does this, but it would be nice

to have that functionality included in a single Blu-ray player.

I very much look forward to hearing your initial impressions

of this new player as well as anything that is being discussed

as far as modifications are concerned.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was curios about this as well. I am guessing it is as easily made DVD region free as previous Oppos are, but I haven't gotten confirmation of that. Region free BR is another issue. I am 99% sure it can play Region 0 or All Region PAL DVDs out of the box.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
there was a early hack for the oppo 83 blu ray player. then there was a mod that you could do as well. it cost a bit to do that. but then it would work. got it and tried it. I had problems getting it to work. I was able to get a refund. if anything the new oppo 93 will go the same route. the oppo 93 is better then any of the panasonic players. the duel HDMI works great on it.

Jacob

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I haven't done any hacking on this one yet, Ron, but IMO it kicks the heinie of my beloved PS3 for picture quality. Plus, its Netflix streaming quality is also visibly superior. The pre-release firmware is a little screwy, but I suspect they'll get that resolved in the coming weeks. Sound quality is also excellent.

I've been busy moving into our new house in Las Vegas and I'm only in the beginning stages of setting up my dedicated home theater--which has a view of The Strip in the distance (!) --so I haven't yet had the time to do the mandatory killer marathon session with it. Still, my initial impressions are very positive. Went out to a 12-foot width with my front projector (just for S&G's) and it looked subjectively sharper than the 8-foot width I used in the condo in Los Angeles. The candy colors in the BD of "Flash Gordon" practically burned out my retinas. :)

Happy Holidays!!

Bob

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I decided to bite the bullet yesterday, but the pre-sales appear to be sold out. Guess I'll wait.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
there was a sign up for the pre-release. I dont know if they are doing that again. I would recommend getting on the list.www.oppodigital.com

Jacob

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I signed up for that months ago. I got my personal link and had nearly gone for it a few times, but when I checked it again last night, they were sold out.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
you can always contact them about it? they are really good about responding to any question a customer has.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks