What's new

Oppo BDP-83 question (1 Viewer)

DUSTMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny Earnhardt
I want to buy the Oppo player, however I cannot find the answer for a question using the component video output. Under the player specs it states.."available for non-restricted content only." I have no idea what that means, could someone answer that question for me and should I be concerned about it?

I can't use HMDI since my receiver, (Yamaha RXV-1200), does not support HDMI and I really don't want to buy a new receiver since my current one works just fine for my needs.

Thanks in advance,

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I believe that is referring to the fact you cannot upscale copy-protected DVDs over component with the Oppo. This can be done only over HDMI.

DUSTMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny Earnhardt
Hey thanks for you reply. Well if that's true, then if I buy the Oppo then all the DVD's I own will not upscale through the player without using HDMI? Correct?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It will not upscale copy protected dvds. So, you are correct.
But, can you run HDMI from the Oppo to the tv for video, and a separate connection to the receiver for audio? Your receiver has the 5.1 multi-channel analog inputs, and the Oppo has the 7.1 multi-channel analog outputs, so you can listen to the HD audio soundtracks from blu ray movies that way. Just don't connect the back surr left and back surr right connections from the Oppo.

Also, in case you don't notice these things...........PM sent to you.

DUSTMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny Earnhardt
Thanks for the info. Actually, my current system has 7 speakers. Sub, left and right mains, front AND rear center, left and right effects. You stated NOT to connect the left and right surrounds. Does that mean they will not function? I just made another post doing exactly what you suggest regarding connections. Now, I'm concerned that I might not have full surround sound.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
What he means is the analog inputs of your Yamaha receiver only support 5.1, not 7.1 so there is nothing to connect the Back Surrounds from the OPPO up to. Just go into the OPPO's speaker setup menu and set the SB's to None. SB info will be sent to the side Surrounds so nothing will be lost when playing a 7.1 BR movie.

DUSTMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny Earnhardt
Oppo's specifications state that you can either set the unit up for 7.1 [SIZE= larger]OR[/SIZE] 5.1, so I don't really see why there wouldn't be the proper support for 5.1 on my receiver from the Oppo unit. I understand that If I wanted to use 7.1 from the Oppo unit I wouldn't have the necessary ports in my receiver. Or, am I just nutz and don't know what the heck I'm talking about, which might be a combination of both

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Dustman is using a 6.1 setup. I explained in a PM that he'll probably use the Back Surround Left connection for the 6th speaker. Yes, the Oppo will work just fine with a 5.1 setup too. No worries....... Now days, most receivers are 7.1, but a few 5.1 still exist. That's probably why Oppo didn't mention a 6.1 setup.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Maybe I'm the one confused! .

I was refferring to the 5.1 analog inputs not supporting 6.1, not the number of speakers.

Hang in there Danny! We'll sort this out for you.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Ok..........I'm not thinking straight either. It's getting late. He has a 6.1 setup. I wasn't thinking that multi-channel analog inputs are either 5.1 or 7.1. I guess my mind was thinking that since he had a 6.1 setup, his receiver had 6.1 analog inputs. Sorry about that y'all.
I did explain in our PMs though, that you don't use the Back Surround Left and Back Surround Right outputs from the Oppo, with a 5.1 setup. I hope I was clear with that.

It's late, and I'm tired! I'm going to bed.

[COLOR= rgb(0, 255, 0)]HAPPY NEW YEAR![/COLOR]

DUSTMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny Earnhardt
Thanks to everyone for all their help and support. I'm sure when I get the unit and start the setup there'll be many more questions, so you guys be prepared. I'm not very familiar with these things as you can probably tell. [COLOR= #ff0000]HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL![/COLOR]

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I purchased the Oppo 83 last year and I am very happy with it. However, I wasn't too impressed with the quality of upscaled DVDs (I didn't see any improvement in PQ) until I started playing around with the sub-menus and found a setting called "Film-based Output" (or something similar) in the Setup menu. After changing the setting to Film-based I noticed an improvement on most DVDs, notably a smoother image. This makes me wonder if I've got this thing setup all wrong. If anyone who has an Oppo can provide some advice with setting it up properly I would greatly appreciate it. I'm currently using a Panasonic 720p plasma set. Also, I picked up an early copy of Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus and the disc won't play. The trailers play just fine but nothing happens when the main menu appears. Any theories? Thanks.

EDIT: I tried the disc in another player and it worked just fine so it's a problem with the Oppo.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Make sure you have the latest firmware. If you do, or you install it and it still won't play, try disabling BD Live, and see if that helps.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Thanks for replying. I was hoping it wasn't a firmware issue since I currently don't have internet access at home. I suppose buying a second copy won't solve my problem, then. I'm just going to chalk this up to the price of owning a high-end format, a
'downside" so to speak. What other anomalies can I look forward to as far as playability? (Sorry if these are dumb questions - I'm just not a tech geek)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I would contact oppo about it.
I would also suggest erasing the persistant storage for the bdlive.. I had problems with a blurays, and once I did the erase.. then the disc would work. its not the end of the world. do you have a USB.. you can download it from the computer and then unzip and then place it on the USB and then install the firmware update. I did that last week. it was pretty simple.

Jacob

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
On Oppo's site, they say you can request a cd from customer service:

1. If you requested a firmware CD from OPPO customer service, jump to step 5 of this procedure. You may also follow steps 2 - 4 to burn a firmware CD.
  2. Click here to download the firmware CD image file BDP-83-48-1224-CD-Image.iso.
  3. Use your favorite CD/DVD burning software to burn a firmware disc from the downloaded CD image file. While doing this, make sure you are not creating a new data disc, but burning from the already-created ISO CD image. Please consult your CD burning software's help/instruction manual for more information on how to do this. Some general instruction for common CD burning software is listed below.
  4. After the disc is burned, verify on the computer that the disc now contains a UPG folder, and inside the UPG folder there are files BDP-83.BIN, BDP-83.SIGN, DVD.BIN, DVD430.BIN and MCU83-1.BIN. This is your firmware disc.
  5. Turn on your TV display and the OPPO player. Make sure that there is no disc in the player and no USB device is connected to the player.
  6. Eject the disc tray, put in the firmware disc, and then close the tray. The player usually can recognize the firmware disc and prompt you for firmware upgrade. In case the player does not prompt you, press the SETUP button on the remote control to enter the setup menu. Select Device Setup, Firmware Upgrade, and then Via Disc.
  7. Please follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware upgrade process. Use the remote control to respond to on-screen prompts. Do not use the front panel buttons because the front panel buttons will stop working during the upgrade process.
  8. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLOSE THE DISC TRAY, TURN OFF THE PLAYER, UNPLUG THE POWER, OR PRESS ANY BUTTONS OTHER THAN NECESSARY TO RESPOND TO THE ON-SCREEN PROMPT DURING THE REMAINING UPGRADE PROCESS.
  9. Remove the disc from the tray when the tray ejects out. In order to complete the firmware upgrade process, the player will turn off automatically. In case the player retracts the tray and turns off before you remove the firmware disc, press the OPEN/CLOSE button on the front panel. The player will turn on and the tray will eject. Remove the disc at this time.
  10. Turn on the player again after the firmware upgrade process is completed. Check the new firmware version by going to the setup menu, and then selecting Device Setup - Firmware Information. If you notice that the firmware versions displayed do not match the versions listed in this release note, please retry the firmware upgrade procedure from step 5 to ensure all parts of the firmware package are installed.
  11. From the setup menu, select Device Setup, Reset Factory Default, and then choose OK to reset the player settings. Enter your customized settings as necessary after resetting.
  12. Congratulations! You have just completed the firmware upgrade. Erase or discard the firmware disc so you do not accidentally install the firmware again.
See this here: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/bdp-83-firmware-48-1224.aspx

Their address and phone number is there too, to contact customer service.
Good luck!

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
My issue has been the compatibility issues with Bluray disks. In fact I'm close to just selling it I had no issues with my PS3 or the two Sony players. I'm running the latest update infact I downloaded the beta version. It appears the issue is with the onboard storage if I clear it the Blurays seem to play ok. I also have had to disable Bluray Live, etc. I have always like OPPO but I'm questioning this model at least.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I've had one issue with my Oppo not playing a disc. I did a firmware upgrade and haven't had a problem since. I've had it almost a year.

I've never had it hooked up to the internet, so maybe that's the difference.............

Jesse Lawson

Agent
Hi all — figured I'd use an existing thread rather than create a new one to see if I could get feedback about audio issues. I'm trying to output using the RCA jacks to my receiver (an Onkyo 705) and getting peculiar results. Stereo sources seem fine; surround sources either seem like they've been mixed down to two-channel or like part of the signal is missing. Audio from one blu-ray disc (the ATX sampler that came with the player) doesn't play at all over RCA jacks. I don't have these problems if I connect via HDMI. The problem might be on the receiver end, but nothing I've tried with either device has helped. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks