What's new

Oppo 970 CD experience (1 Viewer)

Jacob C

Second Unit
I've been playing around with the Oppo and have found that CDs sound better through the coaxial digital than they do through the HDMI. I'm running it to a panny xr57 and the difference is not subtle. The only thing I can figure is that the Oppo is doing some sort of processing to the signal before it is sent out the HDMI cable that it doent do through the coaxial. Sounds very good through the coaxial though. I havent tried the analog outs yet and probably wont unless someone with the xr57 has found a sonic advantage to it. Now all I need is a good TV...

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
um, yeah I've heard this too. (as a 971 owner, I keep tabs on general Oppo stuff)

you might try these settings (grabbed from avsforum

The default settings are geared towards TV audio.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Does this mean that the player is downmixing 5.1 signals (not good) or does it mean it is not doing any downmixing?

BTW: I would try the analog outputs to see what they sound like - they might sound better than the "unadulterated" digital output. For example, my Technics CD player clearly has a slightly "heavier" sound than the DACs in my Technics receiver. And my previous CD player (analog outs), a Pioneer 25 disc changer, had even more bass than the Technics player. But in comparison, my Pioneer dvd-audio player has a clean/neutral sound.

Contrary to urban audio myth, all analog outputs do NOT sound the same. Go flip through any basic audio circuit design manual and you'll see a bazillion different designs where each one - either subtly or aggressively - can audibly affect the sound you hear in your living room. Some might roll off the higher frequencies to provide a "warmer" sound, while others might add some subtle phasey effects for more "3-D" imaging (this happens in recording studios a lot). This is the art i.e. the subjective portion of electronic design. But this isn't rocket science either and it isn't anything only esoteric hi-end companies know about.

Jacob C

Second Unit
Yes, I think the HDMI may have a slight edge over the coaxial on my setup now. I did notice, however, that some of the options were grayed out on the setup menu on the oppo. Sounds great now.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Do you still get the surround on SACD's using an optical out to the reciever? Do I not get the full benifit of this player with a reciever that doesn't accept HDMI?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

No, the oppo can transcode DSD data into 88.2/24 PCM for use on a HDMI 1.1 connection. It cannot transcode it into dts or dolby surround. If you don't have hdmi, you're going to have to use analogue connections for SACDs.

I know that the Oppo 971 can transmit high frequency/sample rate digital signals garnered from DVD-A discs, but this is, of course, stereo only.

Sony would say that the full benefit of DSD is not realized by simply transcoding into PCM, and would steer you to a player/dac combo that uses hdmi 1.2, firewire, or Denonlink.

Jacob C

Second Unit
I just bought Telarc SACD of J.S. Bach -- The Complete Orchestral Suites. Even with the transcoding into PCM it sounds completely amazing. I plan to try my analogs one of these days. WoW, thats all I can say. Oh, and dont for get to set HDMI to 1080i or SACD wont work through HDMI. I got home popped it in and.... nothing. I figured it out though.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I don't doubt that it sounds amazing. Should you wish to argue in an audiophile mood, however, decimation introduces some errors, which may or may not be inaudible.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

So i need to hook up the HDMI for video, optical for Dolby when watching movies and the analog for SACD listening?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

If your receiver supports hdmi, it can receive a dolby digital or dts bitstream over hdmi. The Oppo can transcode DSD into 88KHz/24 bit PCM-- and while there are theoretical limitations associated with this approach, those limitations may not be audible. In any case, the only alternative is to use the analog outs, and those may not sound any better.

If you set it up correctly, hdmi will provide a fine audio experience for dvds, cds, sacds and dvd-audio discs.

but if you don't have a receiver that can handle hdmi audio, it's best to hook up both the multichannel analogues (for sacd/dvd-audio) and the optical (for dvds). Use whichever sounds the best for CDs.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

My reciever does not accept HDMI. So I hook up both the optical and analog connections. Do I have to change something in the setup when I watch a movie then want to listen to an SACD?

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
The furntiure was delivered today so I have to hook everything up tonight. If anyone could help me please I would appreciate it. This way I don't have to move this beast to change things again.....:)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I came across an add for this player in HomeTheater magazine and it really caught my eye. I have been using a Denon 1600 for a few years now and am ready to upgrade. I have been looking for an inexpensive upconverting player via HDMI that also plays DVD audio and SACD. Looks like I found my DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks