What's new

Oppo 105, wow (1 Viewer)

Hal F

Stunt Coordinator
Steve Tannehill said:
My Oppo proved itself once again, streaming 25FPS video from my Mac in full DTS-HD Master Audio. It played back PAL without a glitch. The PS3 can't do this. I had removed the region encoding, although I have the multiregion mod for the Oppo should I want to play the actual blu-ray.
I love my Oppo too. :)
However, when my son was interested in purchasing a blu ray player and asked me which one I would recommend, I recommended the PS3 him because I thought it would fit his viewing needs better. I saw little point in him spending extra money on features he would never use.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hal F said:
I would do the same if he were my friend. But your friend isn't coming on a public forum claiming to see a difference and asking for the opinions of others like Nelson did.
Don't you think it important to point out to enthusiasts how easy it is for us to be tricked by our eyes and ears? Despite the subjectivity inherent in our perceptions, there is still an objective element that can be measured and used to judge the differences between audio and video equipment.
Listen I made my little point and that's that as Nelson has been enlighten and apparently, still is happy with his new BD player.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
Man, I'm glad there are people everywhere that can tell other people what they see or don't see. I have a PS3 and I have a OPPO and I can see a difference in both of them. They both had different calibration results so how can they not be different? Thank goodness for the internet so other people can tell me I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
douglas-b said:
Man, I'm glad there are people everywhere that can tell other people what they see or don't see. I have a PS3 and I have a OPPO and I can see a difference in both of them. They both had different calibration results so how can they not be different? Thank goodness for the internet so other people can tell me I'm wrong. :rolleyes:
Explain the part where you talk about different calibration results, how exactly are you calibrating things at your end.

Link below, click it and see why there is no difference and David Mackenzie actually helped Oppo with the development of the BD-83 and did the encode for the recent Spider Baby UK transfer as well as many other blu ray and DVD encodes, he is an ISF calibrator, he does reviews over at HDTV test site, if he isn't qualified to say there is no difference then i do not know who is.

Oh i don't know, who to believe, an expert on all this or casual observers, tough decision.

http://forums.hdtvtest.co.uk/index.php?topic=6531.300
Quote from David Mackenzie

Seriously, logic and understanding of the hardware and signal processing (or lack thereof) dictates that there is no good reason for there to be a difference in quality. Therefore the onus is on the people claiming to see a superior difference between two correctly working players like the PS3 and most of the Oppos, to prove that there is one. They consistently fail to do so with any sort of scientific method and instead fall back on vague and unverifiable claims.Sorry to sound snooty. I just get tired of emperor's new clothes stories and people telling me about differences that I can't see in my own encoding work!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well for me, as Robert has said above, I am enlightened by the responses. Yet I'm still very happy with the Oppo. I picked especially well mastered discs to try on the Oppo and had really stunning images appear on my screen. Two of those discs I saw for the first time. From Russia With Love I had seen before and it did look great when I saw it last played on my old Sony blu ray player. But this time on the Oppo it was probably my enjoyment of the image quality and perhaps a bit of over enthusiasm as I made the original post. It a very nice player, boots up and loads much faster then my older player. And i can watch 3D material for the first time ever at home, could not do that before. Where I'm finding it shine even more is the DACs for audio play back of music CDs.Why the Oppo is constantly praised for great image quality over other players in reviews comes from, I don't know yet, I'm still looking when I have time. Must be spill over from the praise it gets for up converting standard DVD's. In tests I've read so far, the Oppo appears to edge the competition out. But one poster here says its a minor point as one test is an obscure test, to poorly paraphrase him. I don't want to misquote. Maybe it came down to cables used. Maybe the input settings for one HDMI input was different for another input if two players are used on one monitor. So I am fine to just leave this alone and agree that all things being equal, an Oppo shouldn't be able to generate in image better then any other player, when playing a blu-ray if the players are all following the rules.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Gary Seven said:
Well, I got bored with the incessant, repetitive diatribe. Perhaps if you jumped up and down like Yosemite Sam you might sway me. :lol:
There are plenty of other threads to take part in if this one bores you. :)

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I own the PS3, Oppo BDP-80, BDP-83 and BDP-93. All four players are great but there is no difference in Blu-ray video in my opinion. There should be no difference when compared to the BDP-95 or BDP-105 but I don't own either of those. DVD-V quality and scaling can vary widely but a properly working and set up Blu-ray player shouldn't result in differences in Blu-ray video.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Chris Gerhard said:
DVD-V quality and scaling can vary widely but a properly working and set up Blu-ray player shouldn't result in differences in Blu-ray video.
Agreed. There are many reasons for someone to purchase an Oppo (better DVD scaling, as mentioned, multi-standard PAL/1080i/50 play-through and/or conversion, more audio connection options, build quality, etc), but the picture quality of BR playback only isn't one of them. If all you want in a player is Region A blu-ray playback, there are many cheaper options out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks