What's new

Oppo 105, wow (1 Viewer)

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Hi Steve, what evidence do you have for the video processing being unmatched, apart from maybe DVD upscaling?

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Steve Tannehill said:
I can read the specs.
Unfortunately that does not relate to the PQ being any different to a player costing say $70, you will I promise see none and test results confirm this. :)

This quote from a reviewer/expert on another forum:

" logic and understanding of the hardware and signal processing (or lack thereof) dictates that there is no good reason for there to be a difference in quality. Therefore the onus is on the people claiming to see a superior difference between two correctly working players like the PS3 and most of the Oppos, to prove that there is one. They consistently fail to do so with any sort of scientific method and instead fall back on vague and unverifiable claims."

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You may have provoked me to make an effort to find if there is any methodically done testing to back the Oppo reviews that it has superior or improved video. I did find an Australian review on-line over the weekend that said the video processing on the Oppo 103 was still the best in the business. That was probably a comment based on subjective testing. I can still do the old "eye" test and connect the old Sony player to another HDMI input on my display and play the same disc in the Oppo and in the Sony one at a time. Perhaps one can see the difference. The reviewer in the Australian review commented on better color resolution.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Nelson Au said:
You may have provoked me to make an effort to find if there is any methodically done testing to back the Oppo reviews that it has superior or improved video. I did find an Australian review on-line over the weekend that said the video processing on the Oppo 103 was still the best in the business. That was probably a comment based on subjective testing.I can still do the old "eye" test and connect the old Sony player to another HDMI input on my display and play the same disc in the Oppo and in the Sony one at a time. Perhaps one can see the difference. The reviewer in the Australian review commented on better color resolution.
If you could do that it would be great. Let us know how you get on. :)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Nelson Au said:
You may have provoked me to make an effort to find if there is any methodically done testing to back the Oppo reviews that it has superior or improved video. I did find an Australian review on-line over the weekend that said the video processing on the Oppo 103 was still the best in the business. That was probably a comment based on subjective testing.I can still do the old "eye" test and connect the old Sony player to another HDMI input on my display and play the same disc in the Oppo and in the Sony one at a time. Perhaps one can see the difference. The reviewer in the Australian review commented on better color resolution.
Superior processing of SD upconverting, yes i agree, blu ray playback is the same, as for the Sony test, well you know i would like to know the specific model because as already noted earlier in this thread, not all blu ray players pass some simple tests, some are downright bad.

I doubt the Australian reviewer has the same credentials as the HDTV test reviewer, he has worked on blu ray encodes, is an ISF calibrator and basically knows his stuff, does the Australian guy. ?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/blu-ray-BDP-93-Features.aspx
Unparalleled Video Quality:

[*]Qdeo by Marvell - The BDP-93 incorporates Marvell's Kyoto-G2 video processor with the second generation Qdeo™ technology. Qdeo video processing delivers a truly immersive viewing experience by rendering quiet natural video free of noise and artifacts for all types of content. For high-quality Blu-ray content, the BDP-93 faithfully reproduces the program just as the director intended; for DVD, the up-converted picture quality bridges the visual gap from your current DVD library to Blu-ray discs; for network streaming and user-encoded content at a variety of formats and quality, the BDP-93 offers enhancement options including video noise reduction, compression artifact reduction, intelligent color, contrast, detail and edge enhancements. To learn more about the Qdeo video processing technology, please read the Qdeo Extended Technology Brief.
[*]DVD Up-Conversion - Per-pixel motion-adaptive de-interlacing and advanced scaling transform the standard definition image on DVDs to high definition output to your TV. Additional Qdeo video processing options help to deliver a clearer, smoother, and true-to-life picture free of noise and artifacts.
[*]Full HD 1080p Output - The BDP-93 features user selectable video output resolutions, including 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and up to 1080p 50 or 60Hz.
[*]True 24p™ Video - Many Blu-ray Discs are recorded at 24 frames per second, the same frame rate as the original movie's theatrical release. The BDP-103 can faithfully redeliver the original frames using 1080p 24Hz output (compatible display required) for smoother motion and a flicker-free, film-like home theater experience. It can also restore the original 24 frames per second progressive-scan video from well-authored DVDs and output 1080p 24Hz.
[*]Source Direct Mode - For users who wish to use an external video processor, high-end audio/video receiver or display, the BDP-93 offers a "Source Direct" mode. The original audio/video content on the discs is sent out with no additional processing or alteration.
[*]Multiple Zoom Modes - The BDP-93 supports multiple levels of aspect ratio control and image zooming. Users can watch a movie in its original aspect ratio, fit to the full screen, or zoom in to remove the black bars on some titles.
[*]Vertical Stretch Mode - For customers with a 2.35:1 CIH (Constant Image Height) display system, the player's zoom modes include a vertical stretch mode to work nicely with an anamorphic lens. A unique subtitle shift feature allows the user to move the subtitle up and down, making it possible to see all subtitle text when using a 2.35:1 CIH display.
[*]Dual HDMI v1.4a Outputs - Two assignable HDMI v1.4a outputs are provided to capitalize on the optimum audio and video settings to all old, new, and future HDMI televisions and receivers. With the option of full audio and video output to 2 displays; or dedicate one HDMI for audio, the other for video, it promotes a high quality video and audio for both signal paths. The BDP-93 supports 3D and Deep Color modes on both HDMI output ports.
[*]Advanced Picture Control - Users can have fine control of brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, sharpness, noise reduction, color and contrast enhancements. The player can remember and apply three custom picture control modes to suit a variety of viewing conditions and content types.
[/list]
Of the video features I have used that are unique to the Oppo, are 1080i/50 playback, and PAL playback (converted to NTSC). The PS3 chokes on this. I have also used the inexpensive multi-region mod that plugs in the back of the Oppo and works for blu-ray and DVD. Try that with the PS3.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Steve Tannehill said:

Of the video features I have used that are unique to the Oppo, are 1080i/50 playback, and PAL playback (converted to NTSC). The PS3 chokes on this. I have also used the inexpensive multi-region mod that plugs in the back of the Oppo and works for blu-ray and DVD. Try that with the PS3.
I do have an Oppo, i also have a PS3, blu ray playback is the same, my Oppo is multi region and is superior at upscaling and analog audio, i repeat that blu ray playback is the same for both players, my Panasonic blu ray player does 1080i/50 and guess what, it's the same as the Oppo, quality is the exact same.

Oh and i have a large screen projection system and 60 inch plasma, it's the same on both.

The Oppo is a very nice blu ray player but you buy it for other reasons than blu ray playback quality.

Deja Vu - just remembered i already said this earlier in the thread....i have no power to delete my post.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, during my lunch hour, I did a search and found a review on cnet that seems pretty methodical.They do give the Oppo 83 a slight edge over other blu-ray players for how it handles video material with specific video discs that play test patterns as well as actual blu-rays with known images that can put your player to the test such as jaggies and moire patterns from fine lines. They also go on to say for most people, you won't see the difference with other competing players. I don't know if these guys are ISF trained or not, but it sounded like a fair and balanced review.I'll keep looking. And I am fine that when I get the time to plug my Sony blu ray player into the display to do my test, if I can't see a difference, then I'm not going to loose sleep over it. But if I see improvements, I'll be sure to report it :). By the way, my Sony blu-ray is the BDP-S550 from 2008. I remember when I first got it how super sharp the text was during the FBI warning page and the film studio logos! And when I saw Vertigo on the new Hitchcok set several months ago, the Paramount logo was so detailed with fine lines, that was an impressive image. I should see how that compares on the Oppo 105. There's supposedly a scene in I Am Legend where there is an aerial panning shot over an aircraft carrier and most players cannot handle that shot. I don't have that on blu-ray to see. I have the DVD and I have not tried out one yet on the Oppo to see how the up converting works. http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players/oppo-bdp-83/4505-9991_7-33712796-2.html

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Steve Tannehill said:

I think we are talking Blu Ray 1080i & 1080p playback here. There is absolutely and categorically no difference.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
There is a difference. The PS3 can't play 1080i/50. The Oppo can. I know this because I have a 1080i/50 disc and it does not play on the PS3 but does play on the Oppo.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Steve Tannehill said:
There is a difference. The PS3 can't play 1080i/50. The Oppo can. I know this because I have a 1080i/50 disc and it does not play on the PS3 but does play on the Oppo.
Strange that, because I am sure Planet Earth is in this format and played flawlessly on mine.

Edit:
I have I think already said that full hd 1080p Blu Ray you will seen no difference, as for other resolutions maybe.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Try reading my posts again. Meanwhile, you are going on my ignore list, so I won't have to read anything more from you.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Steve Tannehill said:
50Hz is the UK standard.
Most UK discs are not 1080i 50, very few discs are that, they are the exception and not the rule, the majority of discs are played back at the exact same 1080p 23.976hz as the USA and the rest of the world.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Nelson Au said:
They do give the Oppo 83 a slight edge over other blu-ray players for how it handles video material with specific video discs that play test patterns as well as actual blu-rays with known images that can put your player to the test such as jaggies and moire patterns from fine lines.
The relevant part of that article is below, it's what i have been trying to say all along, note how they say it performs identical to other players, they call it the best because it passes tests which are also irrelevent to 1080p 23.976hz playback and since 99% of films are on blu ray as 1080p 23.976hz the player image will be the same as seen on a PS3, i bolded the relevant part.
The bottom line is that the BDP-83 has the best Blu-ray image quality out of any player we've tested, handling even uncommon program material with plenty of finesse. On the other hand, for the vast majority of Blu-ray movies you won't see any difference between the BDP-83 and other top-performing Blu-ray players like the PS3, LG BD390, and Samsung BD-P3600

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
FoxyMulder said:
Most UK discs are not 1080i 50, very few discs are that, they are the exception and not the rule, the majority of discs are played back at the exact same 1080p 23.976hz as the USA and the rest of the world.
My point, which I continue to make, is that my Oppo plays 1080i/50 discs that my PS3 can not. The Oppo also plays PAL and converts to NTSC, which the PS3 can not. In the United States, that makes the Oppo a better player than the PS3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks