What's new

Oppenheimer (2023) (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That’s awesome! I’m really hoping that they might drag out some 15/70 IMAX prints of some of those Nolan films because I’d love to revisit them in IMAX.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
For Canadian HTFers, some good news re: IMAX 70mm availability.

On a whim I emailed someone at IMAX (as some on Reddit and Twitter have done so and received prompt responses).

The question was on what IMAX venues in Canada would have IMAX 70mm prints.

And the following came back in short order:

1685395777527.png

It looks like the 6 mentioned will be the same 6 that showed Dunkirk in IMAX 70mm:

Langley BC
Calgary AB
Edmonton AB
Regina SK
Mississauga ON
Vaughan ON

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think the 19th may be the international release, as it looks like the North American release is the 21st.

July 21 is the traditional mid-July weekend where many of Nolan's previous movies have opened: The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception and Dunkirk all launched on that weekend in their respective years. Tenet was also intended to go there before Covid delays. I'm sure this date was chosen on purpose. It seems to be "his date," for lack of a better term.

The ironic thing is that Universal, not Warner, will be backing the Nolan film. WB has Barbie on the same date. I think both of these are likely to be very effective counterprogramming each other because they are being marketed to different audiences (though I will happily see both.) The same thing happened 15 years ago when The Dark Knight and Mamma Mia! opened against each other and both did very well. The difference is that this time Universal has the Nolan movie and WB has the female-skewing comedy.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
That’s awesome! I’m really hoping that they might drag out some 15/70 IMAX prints of some of those Nolan films because I’d love to revisit them in IMAX.
Was Tenet ever exhibited in 15/70? I have no memory of it happening, but wasn't sure. That's one I'd love to see in that format.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Thanks. I'm thinking about doing a trip to Edmonton to see this in IMAX when the audience numbers drop enough that I don't have anyone sitting near me.
Seems like you could have a month or so. Bookings and scheduling are up to the theater, of course, but I don't see another official IMAX release on the schedule until Blue Beetle on August 18.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

It says "premium large formats on sale now."

It doesn't say anything about on sale for other formats.

I'm able to find exactly one showing on preview night at AMC within 30 miles of me right now. It's a Dolby Theater at Disney Springs.

Actual opening day (July 21) has four showings, all Dolby and all at Disney Springs.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Here are the IMAX 70mm venues:

US Theatres:

Arizona

Harkins Arizona Mills 25 & IMAX – Tempe, AZ

California

AMC Metreon 16 & IMAX - San Francisco, CA

Universal Cinema AMC at CityWalk Hollywood & IMAX - Universal City, CA

TCL Chinese Theater IMAX – Hollywood CA

Regal Edwards Ontario Palace & IMAX – Ontario, CA

Regal Irvine Spectrum 21 + IMAX – Irvine CA

Esquire IMAX – Sacramento, CA

Regal Hacienda Crossings & IMAX – Dublin, CA

Florida

AutoNation IMAX, Museum of Discovery & Science - Fort Lauderdale, FL

Georgia

Regal Mall of Georgia & IMAX - Buford, GA

Indiana

IMAX Theatre at Indiana State Museum - Indianapolis, IN

Michigan

Chrysler IMAX Dome Theatre, Michigan Science Center – Detroit, MI

Celebration! Cinema Grand Rapids North & IMAX - Grand Rapids, MI

New York

AMC Lincoln Square 13 & IMAX - New York, NY

Pennsylvania

Regal UA King of Prussia & IMAX - King of Prussia, PA

Rhode Island

Providence Place Cinemas 16 and IMAX – Providence, RI

Texas

AMC Rivercenter 11 & IMAX - San Antonio, TX

Cinemark 17 & IMAX – Dallas, TX

Tennessee

Regal Opry Mills & IMAX – Nashville, TN

Virginia

Airbus IMAX, Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center – Chantilly, VA

Canada

Scotiabank Chinook & IMAX – Calgary, AB

Scotiabank Edmonton & IMAX – Edmonton, AB

Cineplex Cinemas Langley & IMAX – Langley, BC

Cineplex Cinemas Mississauga & IMAX – Mississauga, ON

Cineplex Cinemas Vaughan & IMAX – Woodbridge ,ON

Kramer IMAX, Saskatchewan Science Centre – Regina, SK

UK

BFI IMAX, British Film Institute - London, UK

Vue Manchester IMAX & The Printworks – Manchester, UK

The Ronson Theatre at the Science Museum – London, UK

Australia

IMAX, Melbourne Museum – Melbourne, AU

Czech Republic

IMAX Theatre, Palac Flora – Pragu

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Only 5 countries are showing this in IMAX 70mm.

Only 5 venues outside US/Canada.

I feel privileged to have one in my city!

Let's go!!

(Am I excited? YES!! :D )

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not surprisingly, the one theater with a 70mm projector even remotely near me is playing this. I don't know if happens at every theater but I find it funny that my local theater has a gigantic projector sitting in their projection booth and only use it every few years.

Unfortunately, for the vast majority of movies, studios are no longer paying for 70mm prints (which can cost tens of thousands of dollars each), especially since most movies basically get two weekends to make the majority of their cash. There are also far fewer people left who can operate that equipment, and even fewer places to maintain it. If it wasn’t in Nolan’s contract, I don’t think studios would be willing to go through this for his movies either.

First publicly available IMAX 70mm showing in NY is at 11:30pm on Thurs July 20th, which tells me that there are one or two earlier showings that were completely bought out by private entities. I think 11:30 might be pushing it for me but thanks to refundable tickets, I figured there was no harm in reserving one just in case.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
IMAX 1.43:1 is probably the theatrical format that's the most difficult (if not impossible) to replicate at home. I mean - it's hard for cinemas to do it - given there are only 31 venues able to show it in 15/70mm (and a few handfuls more in dual laser) for Oppenheimer!

If there is a format that distinguishes between staying at home and going to cinemas (and hence keep the theatrical experience alive), I'd like to think it's IMAX 1.43:1. But it's a chicken or the egg situation given the paucity of films shot with full IMAX, and the very small number of locations that can present it.

P.S. Maybe 4DX is also hard to replicate - but I haven't watched a film in 4DX so I wouldn't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks