Opnions, which one to get Cable or DSL?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hi all, I'm currently thinking about scrapping 56k service all together and moving up to either Cable or DSL. I know very limited stuff about either of these services, and would like opinions on which is better. I know DSL has different types of DSL and the upload and download rates vary between each of those types of DSL. I've also heard that Cable can become slower as more people in your area subscribe to cable modem service. What else should I know? what does my computer need to run either of these services? If I do Cable I'll have to use Cox Communications for my provider because that is the only company I have around here, any opinions on their broadband service? sorry for the amount of questions but I'm really interested in doing this. Thanks.

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Keith,

With either Cable or DSL its going to kick ass on 56K dialup. Problem is that the quality of any given Cable or DSL service is regional. You'd probably be better off letting everyone know your service area so those close to you can comment because I know my ADSL is kick ass up here in Vancouver but I have no idea about service where you are.

Patrick

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I live in Florida. To be exact I live in Gainesville,FL. My town is kinda small. The deal is that Cox Communications (the cable T.V supplier here) just upgraded to digital cable and along with that they now offer broadband cable internet which they claim travels down the same line their digital cable travels through.Hope this helps.

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

If you've already got digital cable I'd say just go ahead and sign up for a cable modem. Fast, all on one bill, easy to install. Cable and DSL are both fast. DSL is a pain to get signed up for here and Roadrunner cable modem was first. Yes you are sharing bandwidth with your neighbors with cable, but with DSL you are still sharing, its just a little further down the path.

Compare prices and what they say the speed will be like for your area. I'm paying something like $45 for my cable modem and love it. But definitely ditch the 56k modem...

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Well, one of the big fears with Cable was the whole sharing mentality. So far, that hasn't materialized to a real extent. Time Warner really pushed their RoadRunner service but even with all the advertising, it's still been a slow sell. Cable seems to be a fairly safe bet for a few more years.

Bruce

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I've got a cable Internet install scheduled for this week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

7. Byron Holston

8. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I have had a cable modem for over 4 years and can't complain too much. I had mediaone for cable tv and internet then they got bought by at&t. Except for the fact that at&t's @home service went bankrupt and I lost service for 4 days, I would say that I hardly have a problem. The speed is worth the $45 a month charge. As far as sharing, I never see a slow down in service. But maybe not many people are using the service in my area. I can't say.

But whatever one you choose, you will be happy.

9. Shayne Judge

Shayne Judge Stunt Coordinator

10. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Thanks for all the replies, I'm still not sure if I'm going to do it but at this point I'm very interested and completely ready to drop 56K service. Cost is a big issue to me also and right now the Cable modem service here in town is about $15 cheaper than DSL. Thanks.

11. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Keith,

I love DSL up here because it never goes down (almost never) and now that most cable providers are on their own instead of using @home their service is probably going to improve. But, up here the cable and DSL services have identical prices.

If cable is $15 cheaper than DSL than get cable for sure. That's a hell of alot of money extra per year to get DSL.

By the way, in your areas, what are the claimed speeds? Up here ADSL is 1.5Mbps download and 365Kbps upload.

Patrick

12. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Patrick, DSL is dirt cheap up in B.C. If I could get that price down here, even in US $, I'd be jumping at it.

13. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

I currently have DSL and a couple of my friends have Roadrunner. I really haven't been able to see any difference in speed between the two except for the fact that they both have faster and better computers than I.

I don't know much about hooking up cable modems, but getting my DSL up and running was fairly straightforward. Even for a beginner like myself.

14. Robert Wainwright

Robert Wainwright Stunt Coordinator

I think one thing to think about is cable modems are shared bandwith most of the time. One person on it no problem, one thousand...

ADSL (DSL) offers guaranteed rate of speed.

15. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    The "DSL still has sharing, but further down the line" statement is a bit mis-leading. Yes, everyone has sharing at some point. Everyone shares the internet no matter what type of connection they have.
    But, to be more specific, the "sharing" point of DSL is on the ISP's network. Cable also has this. Cable has sharing at two points - the neighborhood share and the ISP network. The difference is that the "sharing" point at the ISP is using a switched type network - packets are automatically routed through the appropriate network line and through that line only. As I said before, Cable internet has this as well. In fact all internet connections (no matter what type of line) will have this at the ISP.
    What Cable has in addition is the non-switched packet line through a neighborhood. This means that packets for one house go to all houses in the neighborhood. If it's not meant for your modem, then it's rejected. The net result is that the more people using simultaneous access in your specific area, the slower the overall speed will be.
    This does not necessarily mean that Cable will be slow. Nor does it mean that it always be slower than DSL. Office LANS often have non-switched areas of the network that don't see much degradation in performance. In can happen, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will. Or to be more specific it will happen sporadically, but nowhere near all the time.
    So which is better? Given all things equal, DSL would win out. However, there are lots of other factors in consideration. First of all, DSL is not available everywhere, so it might not even be an option. DSL speed is reduced slightly when your further away from the central office. ADSL has slower upstream speed. However, you're not likely to notice unless your running dedicated internet servers.
    Cable can slow down considerably at peak usage times (at least for momentary bursts). Some cable companies insist that you don't keep a continuous connection and must periodically disconnect (probably applies to dynamic IPs only). Cable companies in general are notoriously bad. But then again, so are phone companies.
    I have DSL here at home. But, then I also don't have cable at all (I have satellite service instead).
    Choose whatever is more convienent or cheaper for you. You'll probably be happy with either (as long as the company your using stays in business, that is[​IMG]).

16. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

I'd look at the reliability of both your cable and phone companies. Where I used to live, cable went out for hours after any significant storm, but the phone usually stayed up. Thus DSL was the right choice for me for a reliable connection.

Also why not look at what extras you get with your service. My DSL connection offers significantly more in the way of email addresses, USENET storage, web space etc.

Finally are you just going to connect one computer, or several? Look at each companies method of hooking you up. If you will be using this among several computers, then you want an external modem that connects to your computer via an ethernet cable. This way you can easily hook it up to a router and share the connection at your home. (not necessary, but easiest method)