Opionions needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cyrus_I, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Cyrus_I

Cyrus_I Stunt Coordinator

Hi there,
    I'm a university student and buying my first audio home theatre for music, gamecube, pc, and movies. My price range is about $1500 CDN.
    The receivers I'm looking at are:
    Denon AVR 1602
    Yamaha RXV 530
    Onkyo 494
    Mararntz SR 4200
    The speakers that I'm using are mediocre 5.1 Pro-Linear and I'm also looking to get the new Panasonic DVDCV52 to go along with it.
    I'm also wondering whether I should be looking at the Denon AVR 1802 or the Yamaha RXV730 or would I just be wasting the extra money.
    I'm not too familiar with a few of these brand names and models. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Cyrus[​IMG]

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You might want to look at the Pioneer VSX-D811S. It has DPLII, NEO6, DD-EX, DTS-ES, 100x6 w/ 7.1 speaker setup ability, component video switching, and is a very solid receiver. Can be found as low as $300 US shipped. This is what i have and I love it.

3. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I would second Stephen's opinion that you look at the Pioneer VSX-D811S. I have lately been seeing some very favorable reviews of it. It seems to be the hot receiver at the HTF at the moment.
    Also, I am not sure but the models you listed seem kind of dated. I would buy something newer at your price range to get more processing like DPLII and the other's mentioned above. Here is a semi-list of some newer models that would be worth looking at, in no particular order: Onkyo TX-SR600, Yamaha HTR-5560, Kenwood VR-6060, Harmon Kardon AVR225, Denon AVR-1802, Marantz SR-5200 or the Sony ES STR-DA1ES. I am not sure if the 1500 CDN is for everything you need or just the receiver so I gave you a starting point. If you like one of these receivers, look at the next step up and decide if those features are important to you. Or better yet, ask us [​IMG] .
    I have heard great things about the panasonic dvd players so you probably can't go wrong with that. I would also look into Toshiba's new model which I hear good things about. Pioneer and Sony also make a good dvd player, but I think you were on the right path to begin with. Take care.

4. Cyrus_I

Thanks alot guys.

That pioneer seems to be quite good although I'm dealing with primarily Future Shop and A&b Sound and neither carry Pioneers. The Yamaha HTR 5560 you mentioned is also another model I was looking at but is, to my understand, equivilant to the RXV530.

Oh yeah and I probably should of specified. I have a $1500 CDN limit for a whole system.

I think my decision is coming between the Yamaha RXV530 and the Denon AVR1602.

Thanks
    Cyrus

5. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Although I'm not an Onkyo owner, I recall several HTFers saying the 494 should be avoided, as it's not in the same league sonically as the 595 and up.

6. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Cyrus,where in Canada are you from? In B.C. we have Audio Video Unlimited,they carry Pioneer.

7. Cyrus_I

I'm in Vancouver. I'll try and check that store out.

Thanks,

8. Cyrus_I

any more advice?

9. Jason Reich

Jason Reich Stunt Coordinator

I have the Yamaha RXV530 and could not be more pleased. It produces great sound with enough features and inputs to keep me happy. I have had it about a month and cannot say enough good about it.