Opinons on my new rptv.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brandon>C, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Brandon>C

Brandon>C Agent

Hey guys let me start by saying great site. I just purchased my sencond rptv in 2 months. My original Rca D52W20 Lasted only 47 days before it took a dump. So when i called CC to let them know my displeasure with the set i had purchased they agreed to take it back. So before I decided on a new set i did some research and thats how i found this site. I pretty sure im going to get the Panasonic 47x54. Just wanted to hear what you guys think about it.

Thanks for yout time.

Brandon

2. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

sure do like my 53wx53!!! go bigger if you can.

ag.

3. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

Brandon

My RCA HD61W140 crapped out after 11 months. After six months of failed repairs Ultimate agreed to replace it with a Mits WS-65613. I would agree with Andy, go bigger if you can, or at least get the same size. My advise, research the model you intend to get.

Tod

4. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

Brandon:

I just purchased the big brother of the TV you are looking at: the 53X54. It was between the Hitachi 57X500 and the Panny. I know what your thinking... that is some competition considering the Hitachi is twice the price of the panasonic. In the end, the panny does everything well and the added cost of the Hitachi couldn't be justified (and God knows I tried to justify the additional cost). In other words, these new Panasonic tvs are just incredible bargains. I don't know what a Centaur IV gun is, but I'll tell you what this is not your average bargain-priced big-screen RPTV. I am a videophile. I have had many of the best tvs made in the past three years in my house and I will tell you this tv rivals any tv on the market in picture quality. It doesn't necessarily have all of the features of the more expensive tvs, but many of them are unnecessary for the average viewer.

In my estimation panasonic has not received the kind of deference they deserve, because the brand has no snob appeal. That said, make no mistake, you are looking at a very good tv.

John

5. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

I have had the older big brother of that tv (53wx53) for about 6 months now and love it. You can not beat Panasonic's value for the money. Like everyone here says, if you can get the 53", get it, you won't regret it. I too was looking at the 47" and decided on the 53" and I am glad that I did. I bought mine from www.onecall.com It was about $400 bucks cheaper delivered to my door. You will not be disapointed with the panny.

6. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

The new series for Panasonic are very good. I'm very impressed with my 47x54.

In Japan, Panasonic is very popular brand, more so than Sony.

7. Brandon>C

Brandon>C Agent

Glad to hear all the positive reviews, thanks guys. If any of you have tips on how you have your panasonic set up please lets hear them.

Brandon

8. Tom#B

Tom#B Stunt Coordinator

Here's a question for anyone knowledgeable enough about both sets. Over at onecall, the Pannys and the Toshibas are essentially the same price at each respective size. I've heard very good things about the Toshibas right now, and certainly some of you have high remarks for the Pannys. Assuming equal prices, would you prefer the Panny or the Toshiba?

Tom

9. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

Tom:

Last year's Toshiba line had what was called the "White Line" Problem. I would encourage you to review the following message board to ensure this issue does not afflict the current Toshiba Line (just FYI: I have heard that it is indeed still prevalent in the new line).

Toshiba Message Board at HT SPOT

It appears that the issue can be addressed, but you would need to schedule a service call.

As far as decidng between the two lines, I would recommend buying the TV you can get the best price on at a B&M dealer located near your home. Though I have heard wonderful things about onecall from buyers who have been happy with their purchases, i have also heard the horror stories of having to return major electronics to etailers (and the cost associated with doing so). As one who has had to return major electronics to both B&Ms and etailers, I can attest it is much easier ( and cheaper) to deal with local dealers (especially on tvs).

John

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Anyone know how good the Panasonic 47WX34 is? a friend found them on sale for $898.88 & asked me about them.

11. Brandon>C

Brandon>C Agent

Well guys looks like my Tv is going to be at my house on Satuday moring. Any tips for setting it up?