Opinons on my first set up?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Brandon>C, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Brandon>C

Brandon>C Agent

He all this is my first post, but I’ve been browsing the board for a few weeks now. Let me say the board has been a great help in setting up my new tv, it came out of the box with the contrast set so high it was blinding. I’m kinda new to the whole home theater thing but it seems to me that RCA has a bad name around here. I would just like to say that I currently own 2 RCA products and for the price I am very satisfied with them. I know they are not the best I could have got, but Price Vrs. Performance seemed good to me. This setup in no way is meant to be a high end system its just a starter system that I want to play with for a bit before I jump head first into this hobby. Being that this is my 1st step into the world of home theater I would like your opinions on what I own.

Tv: rca.com/product/viewdetail/0,2588,PI700207-CI700322,00.html

Dvd Player: rca.com/product/viewdetail/0,2588,PI700681-CI302,00.html

The dvd player is hooked up with the component outs. The picture seems pretty good, should it look like Hdtv, or just a bit better then my Sat?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help or opinions you can give me.

Brandon

2. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

If you are happy w/your set up, thats all that matters. We all have to start somewhere. Component connections are good, but it won't look nearly as good as HD simply because its 480i vs. 1080i (or 720p). Even a progressive signal (480p) to an HD ready TV won't match HD.

3. John S

John S Producer

The DVD player model can go a long way to improving your DVD picture. But as said, only so far for sure.

If your HD looks really great via the component, you can try one of the newer upscale'n DVD players. On my setup, it really made drastic strides to more even up the picture quality from my DVD -vs- true HD, just as a really nice 480p player would too. Not everybody reports the same results as mine with it though.

4. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

Brandon

I can give you an honest opinion of your RCA since I own one, albeit a different model. I own a Scenium series HD61W140 with a built in HD OTA tuner.

Out of the box SD cable broadcast is fair. HD programming is awsome. DVD is pretty good. Here is what I recommend you do. Calibrate with AVIA or some other calibration disc to improve picture quality and then keep your fingers crossed.[​IMG]

After I bought mine I did some research and found that the RCAs have some issues, so I kept my fingers crossed. Unfortunately, mine failed within a year and I have yet to get it back, and it has been four months.[​IMG]

Will yours fail, only time will tell. Will I buy another RCA, probably not. I am sure there are some happy RCA owners out there but I am not one of them. Here are a couple of sites, if you haven't already found them, which might interest you.

Number 1
    Number 2

Tod

5. Brandon>C

Brandon>C Agent

Thanks for the respones guys.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Oh I don’t know about that - I’d kill for one of their Proscan TV’s! [​IMG]

No need to despair, Brandon, your TV’s better than mine! At least bigger. All I have is a 31” Mistubishi. But it does have an awesome picture. So awesome, in fact, I’ve found few rear projection models that could measure up.

Does it have a “temperature” control? That’s one of the things I look for as an indicator of a better-than-average TV.

All you mention is a TV and DVD player - is there a sound system in your future? [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

I've worked for an rca repair center (we did warranty service for a few others too) my repair man had an rca at home

8. Brandon>C

Brandon>C Agent

Yesa there is a sound system in my future, just not sure what kind. As i say i new to all of this. But thanks for all the replies and words of wisdom guys.

9. Allan Cast

Allan Cast Agent

Get an eye check up.

Back in '98 when I first got my DVD player.
    I didnt know what the hoopla was all about (I used to work for VIDEO mag art dept. and Stereo Review Mag were our Office neibhors). The vid quality seemed no better than lazer disc!

Then one day I happened to try out my brothers glasses while DVD movie was playing. And WOW! I was stunned at the diffrence. I'm not a blind man but it turns out that I'm slightly near sighted.

Now back to your HT.

As for DVD players, I think in about a year you will want to upgrade to Multi Disc changer. Great for marathon DVD watching, trilogy's, movies with extras discs, party jams..etc.

As for sound system.
    Everything (Power, Size & number of speakers) depends on the size of your viewing room.