What's new

Opinons on B&W (1 Viewer)

Matt--LM

Auditioning
I've been looking at their lines of speakers and have compared them. Really nice stuff. I'm not a newbie to audio, but a newbie to the Home Theater or Home listening (I love car audio), so I don't know what all brands are out there. Any opinions on this brand? Thanks.

Shane Morales

Second Unit
You have to listen to them and see for yourself. They're pricey, but they sound really nice, especially when paired with a competent receiver/amp. And they look cool to boot.

If they are in your price range you owe it to yourself to give them a listen.

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely take a listen, I sold my set of Definitive Techs (at the time I thought the powered sub was really cool and sounded great) to get a set of B&W 600 series. My friend got the 600 series, though not the top line of them and I was blown away by how clear and accurate they sounded. Needless to say...you can see what I have in my signature.

Definitely at least take a listen, I think you'll be pretty surprised by them. You might find better ones, but at least give them a listen, I think you'd be missing out if you didn't at least do that.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Matt,

I just got a pair of 602 S3s and love them! Their ability in two channel music and home theater is amazing. I also got the LCR 600 S3 for my center channel. Once I move into my new place in August, I plan to upgrade my rear channels to B&Ws also. You will not be disappointed!

David Judah

Screenwriter
It depends on what kind of sound you like, what electronics you are going to mate with them, and the general characteristics of the room you are going to put them in.

In general though, I would describe them as a bit foward of neutral on the high end, which I happen to like, especially for cymbals--they are very detailed. I have owned every speaker of theirs in the 600 series except the 601 and now I use 9NTs for the fronts, CDM SE Center, and 602s for the rears, so I think it's safe to say I like their sonic signature.

Whether you do though, you'll only know by auditioning and considering the things I mentioned above.

DJ

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Although I have my B&Ws up for sale, I really am impressed with them. Very detailed and a quality speaker imo. If one decides to move up the line in the B&W brand it can get very spendy. But then so can other lines.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
I recently bought 604s for my front. AWESOME is the word. I read a thread here, quite sometime ago, where that person had said it sounds like GOD in his living room. Yes True, very True. I have a open ceiling in my living room which opens to my kitchen - both pretty large size rooms. Inspite of all this, the music fills my room. I only have 2 channel inspite of that the HT exeperience is great!

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
But trust your own EARS!! :)
I have HK7200 that runs these wonderful speakers.

Matt--LM

Auditioning
Oh, i fully understand the listening for yourself aspect. There have been times when i'm suprised someone from the store hadn't kicked me out for being in there hours on end listening (lol, they're helpful and don't mind). But, while money is an issue to some degree my train of thought is do it right the first time (or at least to a point, where if you want to upgrade, its not a few months after your purchase).

This is what I'm looking at:
Two(2) B&K Nautilus 805's

I haven't really looked at anything to run them, but I've been pointed to (from what the store carries) to either B&K or Krell (though Krell seemed to easily jump out of my price range).

As far as set up; right now i just want a nice stereo set up, i'm not big on theater persay (surround sound) [that can be later down the road]. However, I am thinking of adding a sub later on, possibly the B&K ASW800.

With that, any opinons? Are two nice bookshelf speakers and a sub nice; or should i go for towers? Thanks!

btw: are their subs the same quality?

David Judah

Screenwriter
Their subs are well built and solid performers, but they don't seem to get the respect their speakers do--unfairly, IMO. They compare very well with other mass market brands in their price range, but I think you could do better on a cost per performance basis with some of the non-traditional brands(by that I mean not available at your local electronics store)like SVS and Adire Audio.

DJ

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
I would not get any B&W subs...not to say they aren't good, but either HSU or SVS makes a much better sub for less money. I love B&W speakers, however I think their subs are very much lacking.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
In my HT, I have Nautilus 805s for my mains and a Velodyne HGS10 sub. I love using my mains/sub for stereo when I want to listen to killer rock and roll. Kicks some serious butt! For my more refined listening, I have a dedicated two-channel system of Nautilus 804s, Classe integrated amp and Sony 222ES SACD changer. Very smooth. Listen to the speakers. I'm sure you'll love them.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
B&K or Krell (though Krell seemed to easily jump out of my price range.

Rotel is a good option as well not sure with the 805's but I run a 1075 with my B&W's (9nt's,7nt's CNT) You will most certainly want a sub with the 805's nice choice BTW

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks