What's new

Opinions wanted: Yamaha DVC-6480 vs new DVC-6660? (1 Viewer)

Miles Buck

Auditioning
Hello All,

I am considering the purchase of one of these two Yamaha DVD Changers... In one corner, we have the DVC-6480-which is a demonstration unit at a hi-end home theatre store (a subsidiary of Tweeter.com) that is in immaculate condition (not a single scratch, it was used for demo-ing a plasma TV) for $180 (!) (and, they say it will still carry a 1 year factory warranty).. It is approx 1.5 yrs old. It looks to be extremely well-constructed and it has the Faroudja DCD-I decoder...It can play DVD-Audio discs and has 5.1 outputs I believe (?)
In the other corner, we have the option of me purchasing a new DVC-6660 - its Yamaha's new 5-DVD which i can now get direct from Yamama for $199 (I believe it used to be $299 or so) This player doesn't appear to have a Faroudja chip (?), but it can play some more recent formats of media, which is a plus.. I don't know about its build quality or construction... Does anybody have experience with any of these models?? I'd love to hear your opinions.. Frankly, I think the 6480 is a great deal, it used to retail for approx $600 at one time, I believe.. But.. I like the idea of picking up a new one (the 6660) for virtually the same price if its a wash in terms of performance.
My Television is not exactly high-tech, but it is a 20" Toshiba (20AF43) with Component inputs...I will be likely getting a larger, better TV in the next few months (32" likely)..

Also.. What do you think of the Onkyo DV-CP702? (replaced the 701)

Your opinions welcome!

Thanks,
Miles:)

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I got a Yamaha C-920 demo unit a while back, which is just like the 6480. I'd get the 6480 for that price. The video is very nice. I don't use it for audio as much but I do have it connected to hear DVD-A 2 channel which it does very well.

The reviews on the CP702 are generally very good but it does not have DCDi. I actually prefer the C-920 for video over the Onkyo SP800, which I use mainly for audio. The progressive scan on the SP800 does not look as good as its interlaced output IMO. I would think the CP702's video would be similar to the SP800.

Jump on the 6480.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks