What's new

Opinions wanted:Should I return a receiver in favor for a plate amp? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Just trying to justify if there will be a noticable difference in output ability or would I notice a "cleaner" sound from my 25(22)-31 CS. The Technics 2 channel is 100x2. Cost me about $120. I hear people mention the plate amp, will I have to get one with twice the power of my receiver in order to get 3db more output?

Another thing, I am afraid to turn up my main volume past 15db under ref because of the horror stories on here about bottoming and clacking, frying amps and such...will i have less worry with a plate amp thats made for a sub or should I not worry too much if I dont listen all the way to ref. anyway? BTW, the receiver is set at about 3 o'clock -11 on my DD/dts decoder. Room is about 3500 cu/ft at most..

thanks!

Oh, one more thing. If you are calibrating to 75db using the meter, what IS 75db on the meter? Is it +5 or +3 setting? When set of course to C, slow , 70...

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
The plate amp is the way to go, really, if you can't find an amp in a chassis.

Yes, every +3db = twice the power.

You should be getting about 120w or better from that thing already, since it's "rated" for 100 at 8 ohms, and the best amps about double into 4. So you should be able to get ref (depending HEAVILY on the room) with that sub. The rec will be sweating pretty heavily, though, if you keep it hot at ref. A 20 minute demo would be like throwing it into the fireplace and then throwing it down the stairs.

Plate amps of 120w or better are the ticket for power on the cheap.

Watch out for the 'bass boost' on some models!

As far as the meter, 73 is about right on with subwoof pink noise. My meter wavers between +4 and +6 during that, so technically I'm hot +2 or 3.

GabrielC

Stunt Coordinator
What needs to be done with a plate amp? I'd imagine you need to mount it on a wooden box or something similar, anything else? Does the size of the box matter?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Gabriel,

I have 2 plate amps mounted in a single enclosure for my dual 12" subs. I built the enclosure out of 3/4" MDF and made it just big enough for the amps to fit.

Brian

GabrielC

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brian,

Sounds good...I'm not sure exactly how the plate amps are mounted (I've never seen one before, other than the for sale pictures like on parts express). I'm guessing that the reason for the enclosure, preventing people from mounting that thing just on a single piece of wood, is that there's some big transformer on the back of the amp? Can an amp run just lying around on the ground?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Gabriel,

There are screw mounting holes on the amp. And yes, most plate amps have the back completely exposed. So I'd mount it in some sort of enclosure for safety reasons!

Brian

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I got that amp, it works great, PE was very nice to work with. I just have mine sitting on a (wood) shelf, a part on the back of the amp props it up and it is behind doors so no one can see it, I have thought about an enclosure, but it seems to work great they way it is right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks