Opinions wanted re: black around screen

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jay Mitchosky, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Hey All

Looking for some feedback. I'm approaching painting time in my theater and am trying to decide how much black I want around the screen. This picture is slightly outdated (there's a stage there now) but will suffice...

[​IMG]

Originally I planned on painting just the screen wall flat black, with the surrounding jogs the room color. However, I'm wondering if I should also paint the sections of the jogs perpindicular to the screen black as well. The room paint will be flat regardless to minimize reflections.

I prefer the aesthetics of having the jogs the room color all around, but am not sure if reflections (despite being flat) would warrant black to the edges. Hopefully this makes sense. Thoughts?

2. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

How about surrounding the screen with a nice dark pleated curtain(s), similar to RAF. Just a thought.

Regards Tom

3. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

Since your actual screen wall is recessed, I think that the recessed wall around the screen, should be painted extra flat black. With the more forward walls matching the the rest of the room. Stage curtains would add a nice touch as well.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Jay, this is a dedicated room right?

If so, I would paint the front wall flat black as well as the ceiling. The surrounding walls I would probably do another deep but different colour just to add some flavour to the room. Also, the idea of black curtains up front is a solid one if you have the means to do so.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I did my room in kind of a two-color scheme, but I wanted to include parts of the ceiling and sidewalls, as well as the rear wall, but make it look good. I made kind of a diagonal line Z design on the sides (hard to describe) that made a V from the projector out to the sides, and everything in front of this stripe is black, and behind it is a light beigey color. Then the rear wall is also black. Because the beige is pretty light, I used black fabric to wrap acoustic treatment panels that I added back there, so overall, most of the room is the black color, so reflections are kept relatively to a minimum.

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

The front wall around the screen will definitely be flat black. I'm leaning towards painting the adjacent sides of the jogs (each 12" deep) the prevailing room color as it will be easier to go back and paint them black then the other way around if necessary.

I'm painting the ceiling a darkish neutral gray. Dedicated or not the idea of a black ceiling is just not doing it for me (although I appreciate the rationale). The bulkheads running the perimeter of the room will be dark flat purple to bring a bit of an art-deco vibe into the mix. The walls around will be a dark brownish color (I don't have the vocabulary to describe it but it's not a chocolate type brown) and I'll probably introduce some faux finishing to add some texture so not too blah. Ultimately black fabric covered acoustic panels will break up the space at strategic locations.

Re: the curtains I like the idea and may ultimately go in that direction. Time will tell. They would be decorative only - ie. they wouldn't be set up to slide back and forth. They would certainly offer an acoustic advantage as well from the basis of live-end/dead-end theory.

7. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

Hi Jay, I agree with the Grey on the ceiling. I think a black ceiling is okay if you have one of those low "acoustic tile" suspended ceilings. But, it looks like you spent a lot of time creating a nice looking soffit, and IMO, painting it black would be just out of the question. Although the ceiling in my HT pictures looks white, it's actually grey, and it works very well with my FP. All of my wall colors are flat as well.

8. David Cotton

David Cotton Auditioning

Hey Jay, so that I can get some thing to compare against can you tell me the overall dimensions of the room? I definitely like the look of your room but fear that my 12X16 room is too undersized to do some of the things that you have done.

Thanks,

David

9. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Roughly 17' wide by 23' deep by 8' high. You can see details of the construction here.

10. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Jay:

Are you thinking of something like this?

/images/theater84.jpg

11. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Precisely. The question is what I'll do on the sides of the jogs perpindicular to the screen wall. This is actually a better photo for this discussion...

[​IMG]

I'm thinking I'm going to start with those sides painted as with the rest of the walls in a dark, faux finished suede-like texture. Aesthetically I think it will look much better this way. If there are too many reflections it's easy to paint flat black.