Opinions wanted on Yamaha 340 HTIB

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Vince Carter, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Vince Carter

Vince Carter Auditioning

Hi all, this is my first post so please be gentle!
    I'm not all that new to Home Theater; I have a Toshiba 50" rear projection TV (non-HD), Toshiba DVD and a Philips HTIB all for about two years now.
    I am wanting to upgrade my surround system (at least the receiver) to get Pro-logic II and DTS decoding, but I am considering a whole new system, the Yamaha 340. THe receiver I've been looking at is the YHT-5635/5640.
    I was hoping that a few of you might have this setup and would be willing to give a thumbs up or down on it.
    I don't need much power as I'm in a one bedroom apartment I watch alot of TV/Movies and play videogames. I certainly don't need anything high-end or elaborate, but I do want to upgrade and am willing to spend upwards of $400 on a new system. I've also been considering the YHT-440 but I think that system is a little large in power and front speakers for my needs.
    Thank you for your input!
    BTW, anyone have a picture of the rear connections on the 5635? I read somewhere that it does not have s-video connectivity and that's bothering me.

THANKS!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to HTF, Vince.

I moved your post here, because the A/V Sources section is where you can ask for specific HTiB model recommendations. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level.

Best of luck!

3. John Dickerson

Your in luck. I just purchased the YHT340 last week hoping it would be worth it since i couldn't find a single review about it online. I finally got it setup and watched Clone Wars and all I can say is WOW. The sound sounded so real! The highs were crisp were you need them and the bass was right there for all the explosions. I have it setup in my bedroom which is about 12X12 and I listen to movies at about half volume. I'm going to write a full review on the 340 once I get an optical cable this weekend