What's new

Opinions wanted on the HSU STF-2 sub. (1 Viewer)

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I think the HSU handles music beautifully. I listen to hip-hop and reggae, and the HSU exhibits clean and extremely tight bass. It handled Matrix Revolutions amazingly, not a pop, no distortion. Deep, tight bass. When the machine city god talks its just amazing! Definitely hits you deep in the chest with subsonic frequencies. Of course, I also have the Dayton 10" subwoofer behind me that adds extra punch, but I tested without the Dayton and most of the chest-pounding low frequencies were coming from the STF-2. Once you get it, calibrate it properly, watch Matrix 3 all over because it will "feel" like a totally different movie and post your results, I look forward to hearing what you think!

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Sounds great! I also listen to mostly Rap music as well, so I am glad to hear that it sounds good with music as well as movies. And the fact that it can handle Revolutions with no problem is great. Because my Sony just flat out sucked during that movie, way too boomy! And the Sony does not even come close to producing low enough frequencies that you can truly feel. I forgot that HSU provides a great manufacturer warranty so I feel that the service plan is unnecessary. I will look into getting an SPL meter; will a $40 one from radio shack be fine? I wonder what I should do with my Sony when I get this sub? I suppose I could try to sell it, or maybe hook it up, keep the gain down and run a dual sub setup. But I don’t really have room for two subs in my room and I bet the HSU would just overpower it anyway. I have a feeling that this sub might make me want to upgrade my speakers as well. Finally I hope that the sub location will be ok. The sub will be located along one of my walls behind the chair that I mostly watch movies from, but in front of the couch in the back of the room that people also watch movies on, so basically in the middle of the room but along a wall. Will this location be ok? I would like to put it in a corner, but the way my room is setup there is no room to do so and I would need to change it all around to make it work, which I don’t want to do.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
You can't know until you try it. One way to figure out ideal location is to place your sub in the listening position and then walk around the room to find the best bass response, that's where your sub should go. Ideally, the corner is the best, but that may not be the case in your room, it all depends.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Alright, thanks again for your help. I am going to forget using the Sony and try to either sell it or just put it in storage and maybe use it for another system someday. I will also pick up an SPL meter and a calibration DVD (been meaning to get one for a while now). And I know what you mean about putting the sub in the place where it sounds the strongest, but I happen to have a desk in the particular spot in my room. I suppose if I am not happy with the sound, I might be able to make room in a corner of my room for it. Any how I should be picking the sub up sometime this weekend, as long as it’s still in stock. I will be sure to post a thread with my impressions of it!

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Damn looks like I cant get this sub this weekend after all. My two local CompUSA's are sold out again. I will keep checking online for availability, and let you know when I do pick it up though.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Matt - keep checking the online availability on a regular basis (several times a day, even). Do it all weekend.

I was looking at the availability for an STF-2 just 'cause I wanted to see one again (and after I read your post) and it is just never, ever available in any of the CompUSA's in the general area. Then last weekend it magically appeared to be in stock at the closest one, and then a couple of hours later it apparently went out of stock again, and then even later that weekend it somehow appeared again. I was there in a little over a half hour and now I'm just sittin' here listening to it right now. Just keep checking online - they do reappear, for whatever reason...

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Yep, you are right, I just checked back and they are back in stock now. I may just pick it up tommrow.

Marc W

Auditioning
Several days ago I posted asking for advice similar to what Matt was requesting. The difference was that I (will soon) have a fairly large room, with cathedral ceilings, and I was concerned as to whether the STF-2 would have sufficient power for the room. Two or three people responded to me with some helpful information, but I haven't had a chance to thank anyone until now. So let me just say THANK YOU!!

I bought the STF-2 at my local CompUSA today ($365 incl. tax), and I absolutely LOVE IT. I'm not using it in my new house (with the large room) yet, but the STF-2 does EVERYTHING I want it to, and more, with the volume at the 11 o'clock position in my current HT room. My current room is somewhat smaller than the new one, but they're close enough that I'm now VERY confident that the STF-2 will be more than sufficient for my new house (Velodyne's website recommended the CHT-15).

So far, I've listened to:

Monsters Inc.
-- Sock Destruction
-- Dinosaur Walking
-- Containment Field at Sushi Restaurant
-- Energy Surge when Boo laughs

Finding Nemo
-- Mine Field Explosions
-- Whale (which was the most awesome of them all for loud, deep, non-distorted bass)

I'll have to wait a while to try out the Matrix Trilogy, as those DVDs might upset my 2-year-old.

I haven't even had a chance to optimize the sub yet -- no set up CD -- no SPL meter -- no trying different places in the room -- no playing with the phase switch -- I just hooked it up, stuck it in a corner, and let 'er rip, and I LOVE IT! I probably won't try to optimize it until after I move to my new house in June.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone in this forum who has offered what I consider to be excellent advice. This sub is EXCELLENT (in my less-than-expert opinion).

I'm going to focus on my upcoming move for awhile, but I'll be back to this forum for more advice when it comes time to optimze my STF-2. Then I'll be back again when I need to upgrade my receiver. I think the genie is out of the bottle -- I'm turning into a HT junkie. ;-)

Blue Skies,

Marc

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Matt,

Had a similar availability problem myself regarding the STF-2 and CompUSA--kept showing up as not available at my nearest store, and the next nearest CUSA is 45 miles away.

One evening it showed not available at 5pm, tried again at 7pm on a whim and it was available, which I took as a definite Sign From Above that I should buy this thing. I ordered online for in-store pickup which reserved it for 72 hours, picked it up half an hour later.

If you do find it available locally according to their website, just order it for in-store pickup and they'll hold it for you. The website will ask for credit card info but they will not charge your card. They'll hold it for you and when you pick it up you can pay any way you wish to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks