Opinions Wanted on JVC Progressive DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul E. Fox II, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

Just wondering what any of you that may own or have at leasted demo'ed the JVC XV-SA70BK/XV-SA75GD units think abou the player....Good, Bad, or Ugly.
    Seems to be a pretty decent unit for under 300 bucks, but of course there were some problems with JVC DVD Players in the past...
    Let me know.

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I've had the XVS60 for about a month now. Out of the other players I tested (RP56 / NS700p) it put out the best progressive picture. Seems like it is built very well, solid, quiet and the back panel does not cave in when plugging in cables, unlike the other two. This is my first JVC product and I am very happy with it.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've had one of the 7 disc changer versions of the new JVC progressive player line for a couple of months and so far so good. Picture quality is excellent and the player has some really useful video adjustment features as well as auto scaling for properly flagged non-anamorphic discs.
    I was a little leary of JVC, but their first progressive scan player, the 723 (?-not sure of exact model number) seemed to have a pretty good track record so I took a chance, besides my old Panasonic was dying after only a year.
    I think these are great performing players with plenty of features at a bargain price.

4. Paul E. Fox II

First off, thanks for the replies guys. Have either of you noticed any of the many problems with DVDs on these players that seem to plague the Toshibas (i.e., the Dinosaur Defect, Dogma Display Dilemma, Grail Gripes, etc.)?
    I'd really like to have the Panasonic RP91, but for $279 (and probably cheaper on-line somewhere) I will get progressive out and DVD-Audio. As far as I can tell...all I'm missing is the MP3 capabilities of the RP91 with the JVC.

5. SHAWN SZILEZY

SHAWN SZILEZY Stunt Coordinator

Paul,
    I own the XV-SA70BK and could not be happier with it. When this player is fed with a progressive signal, the image is very good. Conversely, there have been several complaints about the interlaced mode due to the fact that its performance is derived from the progressive settings. This was not a big consideration for me since I play mostly progressive material.
    As for problem discs, I can confirm that Dinosaur is no longer a hit and wait game.
    Hope this helps......Shawn [​IMG]

6. Paul E. Fox II

Thanks Shawn.
    I think I kinda want one of these in a bad way. I was actually able to locate one for like $227.00 which isn't a bad price actually[​IMG]!

7. Henry Colonna

Henry Colonna Stunt Coordinator

Best Buy is a hot place to track these down. The store prices are not so good, but when you couple them with some of the discounts that you can get with OTHER merchandise and/or 10 percent off coupons, you can do VERY well.

For example, I got my 75GD when I bought a 60 GIG HD for $129.99 after a Windows XP coupon that someone sent me in EMAIL then a $30 gift card that I used towards this player...I ended up paying $199 for the DVD player. Then since they ended up making a mistake on their web site, where I actually ORDERED the hard drive to begin with, and that Best Buy graciously decided to honor, I have another $75 gift card in the mail to me that I will use on something else.

You have to stay vigilant, though. There are several "hot deals" web sites where people post their experiences and methods of making the most of your money work for you with price matching, gift cards, etc. I'll send you a few of the sites if you EMail me.