What's new

Opinions: The future of tv - lcd/plasma/lcos/dlp (1 Viewer)

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious to what people think the future of TV will hold.. personally, I think LCOS (at this point) will come out on top - unless dlp and lcd fix their inherent problems. What do you all think??

jim

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
Here's what I think- In the future, I'd have to say OLED will be king. But that's a few years off and anything can happen until then. CRTVs will be dead in 3 years, and LCOS is a flash in the pan IMO. Why? Because only 2 companies make them and there's no one rushing in to join them and they are terribly expensive and difficult to produce in high yeilds. So, it's down to Plasma, LCD and DLP. But, DLP is the lesser with poor blacks, crappy regular cable, and rainbow effect. So I would say plasma's right now, and LCDs in the future once they get the black level issue solved until OLED makes it's appearance.

Read: Flat panels are the future (not including projection).

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, LCOS may have a very bright future. MicroDisplay Corp. just introduced a 1920x1080 single chip LCOS solution that does 1080p. Check out the whole article here. I do agree with Rick that one day OLED could be huge.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
And in the meantime, if you're shopping for a new HDTV today, just get a decent CRT based set, have it professionally calibrated, and pocket the change until this stuff gets sorted out.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Unless, of course, if skylights or big windows make a CRT based RPTV unwatchable 50% of your day. :frowning:

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
rick, thanks for the oled lead.. I have done some research and it looks very promissing.. the future is going to be great.. any one care to venture a guess when oled will go to tv's? it seems in smaller displays they are allready there.. speaking of flat tv's - spent some time with the 50 or 60 inch panasonic lcd and I was impressed!

jim

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Unless, of course, if skylights or big windows make a CRT based RPTV unwatchable 50% of your day
Remove the screen protector and you should be good to go. No display device is going to overcome direct sunlight on the screen.

In my experience, when going to customer's home to calibrate their TV, if they're the type to visit the various home theater forums and have adjusted their TVs with AVIA, VE, etc., their Contrast is usually set much too low. CRT based projection sets do not really 'bloom' so the explanation for setting Contrast on these test discs is pretty meaningless.

doug#

Auditioning
I must be a member or lurker on 5 different forums, and NO ONE seems
willing or capable to answer this question--GIVEN the SAME signal strength, which technology produces the best ANALOG picture---CRT,PLASMA, LCD OR DLP ?? Garbage in garbage out is not the answer to the question !! Surely there is one that does a better job than the others !!
My DISH signal strengths are in the 120+ range on both birds and I have NO interest in HD programming NOW, but want a 50"+ tv.
So which would do the best job ??
THANX:angry:

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
As of right this minute. CRT is the best technology period! It will give you the best and most film like picture. Give the other technologies time to get better. If I were going to buy a new hdtv set today and my main use was ntsc signals/dvd viewing, crt would be a no brainer IMO. But I do not want a tv that will be obsolete in the next 5 years.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Jim,
Thanks for the links. Very informative. I wonder what will be next? This technology thing seems to be moving at a pace that I have never seen before. Reading articles like those make me look at my current displays as big, bulky, ugly, giant black boxes. Soon those things will go the way of the dinosaur.

Multi-chip DLP's

Aren't the high end projectors use multi chip DLP technology?

I havent heard of this being useing in a monitor yet. Sounds like the technology is already been proven and that it could come to the market a lot quicker than

SED or OLED technology.

Anyone have a prediction when the first and second generation of these technologies will be here ?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Don't forget folks...there's a difference between 'best black' and 'best blacks'. Black, as the absence of light, is very important, but so is the reproduction of subtle near-black or dark-grey shades. All these non-CRT technologies are not so good at the reproduction of blacks. DLP and plasma 'twitters', LCD 'crushes', etc (that's just an example...not a concrete rule of thumb)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks