Opinions: Samsung DLP or Sony WEGA?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Marc L, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Marc L

Marc L Stunt Coordinator

My brother has inlisted my help in picking out a new TV. He's always bought Sony products, but I've heard nothing but good things about Samsung in these forums...and not very much about Sony at all.

So...the two models he's looking at are the Sammy HL-S4266W and the Sony KDF-E42A10. My vote would be for the Samsung, but I don't know much about the Sony.

SO, what say you?

2. orestes

orestes Second Unit

I do like Samsung better. My local CC has set up a Samsung DLP with a Samsung blu-ray player, and for the first time I was impressed about the blu-ray technology. I live in San Francisco, and there is a Sony Style near where I work. Well, Sony Style has a similar set up with a Sony blu-ray player, and I was not impressed at all. Actually I was disappointed. Similar situation happened to me when I went to BB near me, and another blu-ray set up was there. At BB, I did not see the benefits of the blu-ray technology.

Anyway, I do like Samsung, and hopefully next year I will be able to buy a Samsung DLP.

Regards,
    orestes

3. Marc L

Marc L Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the reply!

4. Bryan_P

Bryan_P Stunt Coordinator

Ha, I am also considering both of those televisions. My parents have one of the first Samsung 50" DLPs and it is a gorgeous television. Based on that alone, I would lean towards the Sammy.

I haven't done a ton of research as yet, but is it the case that you cannot get a 1080i LCD or DLP under 50"? I can't seem to find any TVs that can do 1080i that are under 50", which is kind of a bummer.

5. Brian^K

Brian^K Supporting Actor

My wife and I are big Sony fans. My wife owns two Sony AIBOs. We have lots of Sony products all over our house. However, when I did the research on DLP, I found Samsung was the best brand, and so would recommend them, for that one type of product.

6. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

I recently purchased the Samsung HL-S5086W and wholeheartedly recommend it and Samsung. The better the signal you feed it, the more impressive it becomes. It is a 50" display, but I was watching yesterday and thinking maybe I could have sprung for the 55"... [​IMG]

I love the Sony CRT's but don't have much experience with their newer stuff.

7. Bryan_P

Bryan_P Stunt Coordinator

How do people feel about buying open box or floor model versions of these TVs? There have been some good deals that I've seen (yesterday I saw the 42" Sony LCD for $1180), but I'm nervous about the floor models because of the bulb.

Any thoughts?

8. Christopher Cheadle

Christopher Cheadle Stunt Coordinator

I don't think I would consider buying an RPTV as a floor model due to the bulb issue. Unless, of course, the warranty (included or extended) includes bulb replacement.

9. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I ended up with Samsung myself, HL-R6168W (1080p) when I was TV shopping. Great price and great picture when I feed it 1080i HD broadcast or HD-DVD.

Despite being a 61", it fits on the bedroom wall rather good. I find myself watching more and more movies in the bedroom instead in my HT room on 720p LCD front projector. That's a 20" widescreen LCD monitor underneath it btw, looks quite small... [​IMG]

http://skylinegtr.go.dyndns.org/gall...2_itemId=17915

10. HankSter

HankSter Auditioning

Nice wall mount !!!! ....... [​IMG]

11. ericJed

ericJed Agent

I just bought the Sony stated above. Loved it.....for the 41 days it worked. I am in a big hassle with CC over exchanging it. They sent a tech out to replace the Optical engine. Did no good. So CC finaly agreed to replace the TV with one of my chice. I am picking the Samsung 50 DLP thats on sale right now.

12. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

I'd go with the Samsung.

I have the HL-S5687W and it's been a GREAT set so far and I've yet to see a better picture, including Sony's SXRD line.

13. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

How are the Sammys with SD signal?

14. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

They are ok, I just choose not to watch SD anymore because 1080 HD is such a pleasure. The only SD broadcast I watch anymore is F1 and the Samsung does a decent job at it.

15. Brian^K

Brian^K Supporting Actor

Its not that much different than SD on my old CRT, taking into account how much the picture is stretched to fit the larger HDTV screen (though still 4:3, of course -- in 16:9, it does begin to degrade pretty significantly).