opinions please

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DerekCV, Mar 31, 2005.

1. DerekCV

DerekCV Stunt Coordinator

Ok this is a rough sketch of how I am laying out my basement, it is not perfectly to scale, so just use it as a reference. [​IMG]

The area I'm using for the HT part is about just under 20' X just under 11' with a 7' high drop ceiling (tile kind). Ok, so I'm thinking of getting the Infocus 4805, pioneer 1015thx, making my own screen and sub.

For the sub I'm thinking EP2500 and 4 of the IB15 (for $400) in a sealed or vented box. Yes I like alot of bass.

Mains and surrounds, I'm looking at the Northridge line or Primus line, or whatever else.

I want to put my equipment behind me so that I don't see it during normal movie watching.

Let me know if you see anything grossly wrong in my line of thinking. I am on a strict budget but so fair I'm feeling good about some of the deals I've seen and what not. This is all new to me, but I'm enjoying the planning stages at least.

2. DerekCV

Now i'm thinking that I can't have a sub in front of the projector, becuase os the little Infocus Excel sheet... it say that the screen needs to be almost 2 feet away from the ceiling, then If I figure a 90" screen just under 4 feet tal... so I have about a foot and a half between the bottom of the screen and the floor. I was thinking i would need at least 2feet of height for the sub... although I might be able to tweat a few inches here and there.

3. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

For your sub, it looks like you have the potential to make an infinite baffle.
    If you were to place it under the stairs with the opening where you plan to put your equipment rack.
    Then open the other side of the stairs so it pipes into the storage area. But the storage area will have to be sealed off from your theater, and I can't really tell from the plans if it is or not.
    Generally it is not advised to place an IB at the back of the room because of phase issues (hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in about that) but it sure would free up some much needed space.
    Check out this link.
    Cult of the Infinitely Baffled

4. DerekCV

I've looked into the IB option, I don't think I have an ideal setup to use it. But I'm ok with making a huge enclosure though [​IMG]