opinions please

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MikeHU, Oct 18, 2004.

1. MikeHU

MikeHU Stunt Coordinator

I know this is not home decorators forum, but could you please give me some input on matching the "finish" on my front speakers. I'm upgrading to the Klipsch RF-7's and will be going with the cherry finish. My current RC-7 center is the black ash finish. The center sits atop a black 55" mits.

I'm not sure which would be better - to keep the black center so it "disappears" a little more atop the TV, or to trade it in for the cherry finish center so they all 3 match across the front.

My gut tells me to have the finish match all across the front, but if anyone else has any thoughts - I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks.

2. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Stunt Coordinator

I upgraded my speakers in stages. First I did the front L/R. I had all black speakers before. Then I got my new speakers that had a wood finish. So it was wood finish with a black center. Then I upgraded my center to the same company as the L/R. It looks much better. My center is below and in front of my TV. I would go for a matching finish. It just looks better in my opinion.
    Mike D

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

With the lights on, I'd go with the cherry matching center. Lights off/low, the black ash. You're a lucky dog to have those speakers in any finish [​IMG]

Mort

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi Mike,

If it were my decision to make, I would go with the cherry. If you were to decide to sell in the future, it would be beneficial. Glad to see you figured out what mains to go with. I remember us speaking in the past regarding.[​IMG]

5. MikeHU

MikeHU Stunt Coordinator

Mike, Mort and Steve - Thanks for your experience/opinions. That really helps crystalize things, and I will go all cherry. [​IMG] Just when I finally thought I had made up my mind on the right speakers (as Steve knows, I started with the bookshelves, then RF-5s), my wife decided to also flip-flop and go from the black to the cherry. My local shop just changed the order, and hopefully I can pick them up soon.

Bye the way, Steve, congrats on your new SVS toys. I started reading your thread, but its so long I need to catch up to it later, as I am supposed to be working right now! All I can say is that I hope I don't catch that SVS upgrade bug. I'll tune in to your reviews later - at least the parts that I can understand [​IMG]

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Bye the way, Steve, congrats on your new SVS toys. I started reading your thread, but its so long I need to catch up to it later, as I am supposed to be working right now! All I can say is that I hope I don't catch that SVS upgrade bug. I'll tune in to your reviews later - at least the parts that I can understand[​IMG]
    __________________________________________________ ____

I,m the simple one around here Mike. If you get a chance to stop by, well then by all means[​IMG] If you need a hand muscling a sub into the house?> I'll be there.

Congrats on your new speakers Mike, I'm glad for ya.[​IMG]

7. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Ahhhh, the SVS bug, mmmmmm. I've got older Klipsch speakers that sonically are in between the RF5 and 7's. (better than the 5's but the 7's are my favorite) Just added a SVS PC Ultra that replaced a Klipsch SW10 and it's a dramatic improvement.....for everything. Catch the bug Mike....you won't let go [​IMG]

Mort

8. MikeHU

MikeHU Stunt Coordinator

No Mort, I cannot! I've only had my PB2-ISD (or whatever it is called now) for a few months, and my wife would - well I hate to think about what she would do if I even had the thought. (I did peek at the SVS website the other day- just to see what I was missing with the ultra - boy those drivers look outstanding - I can only imagine their performance)

Right now there is a ladybug crawling around my window sill about 9 stories up, and that is the only bug I want to catch for now !

I'm going through bass withdrawal, as I am now 10 days and counting in having the HT all torn apart while we remodel the HT room.[​IMG] I keep telling myself "no pain, no gain", but it still seems like eternity. New 2910 still sitting in the box - just waiting on my bedroom floor. Never heard any SA-CD/DVD-A, but excited to give it a try as soon as it all comes together.

I ordered some In-walls for the side surrounds. The replacement model for the RCW-5 (WAF compromise). I hope they are not out-gunned by the RF-7s in front and the RS-7s in back. I'm hoping calibration will be the great equalizer. Anyone have any positive experience with in-walls? I did hear some Paradigm in-walls when I ordered my Klipsch. They sounded outstanding (2X the price!).

I'm just all out of sorts until I get this HT put all back together.[​IMG] Does Off or Cutter work on that SVS upgrade bug?