OPINIONS, PLEASE Yamaha 2095 = NAD T-752

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Albert Damico, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Albert Damico

Albert Damico Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a Yamaha 2095 receiver in my HT setup. I only use this for HT, not music. I have always thought the sound just a little thin. I am considering moving to a NAD T-752 receiver. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this would be a step up or down? The Yamaha cost considerably more when I purchased it than the NAD does now.

Speakers are:

Mains: Infinity Overture 2's
    Effects: Infinity RS3's
    Center: Axiom VP-150
    Sub: Infinity HPS 1000

2. Shane Yates

Shane Yates Stunt Coordinator

If you aren't going to be listening to a lot of music, maybe you should look at a Denon 3803. NAD is good at home theater, but they shine musically. The Denon is more HT tuned and it isn't bad at music either. Never really been a fan of Yamaha though. Just a suggestion

3. Albert Damico

What is the difference between the Denon 3803 and the 3802. Also, as my system is 5.1 and due to space limitations I will be staying at that configuration, what would be the Denon model number for a 5.1 receiver equal to the 3803? Thanks

4. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Albert, I feel uniquely qualified to answer this thread for you. I have an old Yamaha 2092 receiver (the immediate predecessor to your 2095), and I also own a Denon 3802. My Yamaha does not do DTS, while your's does. I've compared the Denon and Yamaha against each other with the exact same set of speakers, a matched set of 5 M&K s85's all around with 2 M&K s75's for Yamaha front "effects" speakers, and rear wall surrounds for the Denon on 7.1 formats. I really can't tell all that much difference on them on plain old dolby digital 5.1 to be honest with you. They pretty much sound the same to me. Can't help you on the 3802 vs. 3803, but from what I've read here on it from others, there's not really much of an audible difference in them.

5. Albert Damico

Mark:

Thats interesting. This all started as I have a stereo receiver in my music room that I play CD's on when I practice playing blues guitar. I purchased new speakers and since my receiver has a rather high THD, the speakers clip. So I figured I'd replace the receiver with a NAD so I could crank the volume when I crank the volume on my guitar. Then I figured, hey, maybe its time to replace my Yamaha 2095, move it upstairs into my music room and go for a new HT receiver in my media room. But from what your saying, perhaps unless I'm ready to take a real step up from the Yamaha 2095, I should go back to my original plan and just replace the stereo receiver.

6. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Albert,

Speakers don't clip. Amplifiers clip. THD has nothing to do with clipping. It's a lack of power. It sounds like you are trying to play the speakers at a level beyond there ability (possibly) with amps in the Yamaha that are not up to the task. NAD may be a good solution because NAD is conservative when they rate their amplifiers and they utilize high current amps. However, a given speaker will only play so loud and then it will begin to compress so if you are trying to get the speakers to do something they aren't designed or able to do you may end up with a similar problem to the one you now have. Regards.

7. Albert Damico

What a great explanation, thanks. I knew that it was the amplifier and not the speakers, but my reasoning was that is was too much distortion in a small room. Actually the Yamaha is in my media room and works great. The receiver that I am using in my music room is a Nakamichi RE-10 powering Wharfedale SP-87 speakers rated at 125 watts into 8 ohms. Now I'm not sure if its the speakers or the amp, but I suspect the receiver. I used to have an old Yamaha stereo amp running old JBL bookshelf speakers and it went much higher than I can get on what I have now. The THD in this Nakamichi is .1 so I thought that a NAD integrated amp with .03% might not clip. But if I understand you, its power, not THD.