What's new

Opinions, please: used TV purchase (1 Viewer)

Tom BL

Agent
I'm considering an opportunity to buy a two-year-old Sony KV36HS500 with its proprietary stand for $1,000 CDN. The owner treats his stuff very well, and there's still a three-year warranty remaining.

This seems -- to me -- to be a pretty good deal. Am I crazy or am I right?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Tom, the consensus here is that buying a used display is a bad, bad idea. You say the owner "treats his stuff very well," but do you know how well? Specifically, ask him where he sets the Contrast level (or, in Sony-speak, the "Picture" control level). It had better be below fifty percent. How often did he run the thing and for how long at a time? In short, if the owner has been running that Sony in torch mode, avoid.

Tom BL

Agent
Thanks for the tip! I will definitely ask those questions. It's a friend of a friend, so the answers should be truthful.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't say a word. I'd go over and look at it and look for myself what the brightness and contrast was set at... :)

Can you counter offer? Hard call. You can get some pretty nice displays these days for around the $1000 mark.

Not sure what that is in U.S. probably like $700?

Tom BL

Agent
At today's rates, $1,000 CDN is about $850 US. The problem is, I want an HD CRT in either 36" 4:3 or 34" 16:9, and it seems that Sony is the only game in town.

The KV36HS420 appears to be the closest thing comparable to the KV36HS500, and it goes for $1,500 CDN. The KV34HS20 is priced at $1,999 CDN. I have to add 14% sales tax to those prices, not to mention extra bucks for any extended warranty. So basically I'm looking at $1750 - $2300 CDN retail.

Am I missing any units from other manufacturers that I should be considering in this price range?

Tom BL

Agent
Right, no stand. The stand is not that important to me, as I have family in the furniture industry (discounts!), but I do like how refined it looks.

I'll definitely try for less -- it never hurts to ask.

Tom BL

Agent
I bought the TV, after seeing that his picture settings were quite low, and he had different settings saved for different input devices. He's also familiar with the service menu, had calibrated his set using an AVIA disc, and overall knew a heck of a lot more than me about displays.

And I got it for less! I can't wait to get it moved in and hooked up. Time to speak with my cable provider about getting set up for HD programming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks