Opinions please on Fujitsu P-2120 (small laptop), other choices??

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Gregg Loewen, May 9, 2003.

1. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi
    I currently have a Dell 8200 and I am sick and tired of carrying around all 13 plus pounds of it.

What do you think of this unit?

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/deta...=741698#scroll

What about the processor : Transmeta® Crusoe™ TM5800 Processor 933MHz? Ive never heard of this before

What about the video card : ATI® Mobility™ Radeon™ graphic controller with 8MB integrated video RAM?

I am wanting a LIGHT / PORTABLE laptop for calibrations and to watch DVDs on. Is this unit any good? and if not what are some other options for me?? Please remember that I want LIGHT as a first priority.

thanks for your opinions!! I am wanting to purchase today.

Regards

Gregg

2. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Unless you are open to only Windows, go with a 12" Powerbook or iBook. The best laptops at the best price.

The iBook for instance would be over $200 less and give you the same stuff but you'd get a 32MB Radeon video chipset. (plus firewire which could be handy.)

3. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    thanks!

Whats an Ibook?? how does it compare with size?

How will DVDs look on the Fujitsu?

thanks

4. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    okay, Im dense!! Just did a search for ibook : aka: small Apple. I think Ill be passing on the Apple product. Im a Windows only kind of person due to my own ignorance.

5. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Check out this laptop, Gregg:

Toshiba Portege 4010

You'll find that if you go smaller, the units don't have installed drives, meaning no DVD player.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Gregg if you don't mind spending a little more buy an IBM T series notebook. They're light, rugged and very dependable. Plus they'll come with a real processor and much better video card (integrated = bad for video) and looking at the price they want for that fugitsu the IBM's might not be that much more.

Dell's new 500m,600m and Latitude X200 are decent notebooks as well for the money and the X200 is very light. Which ever you buy try and get a built in wireless card.

for example here's an X200 that comes very close in price to the one above but offers much more bang for the buck , is lighter and has a three year next day warrenty (important for notebooks). Buy as little Dell memory as possible since its way to costly. You can buy it cheaper from Crucial which is where they get it from or you can use cheaper brands without issue (I'm using some from office depot that was very cheap in my new dell notebook)

Latitude X200
    Ultra Low Voltage Mobile Intel® Pentium® III processor-M
    933MHz

Qty: 1
    Price: $1,658.00

Date: Friday, May 09, 2003 7:07:43 PM CDT
    Catalog Number: 4 04
    Latitude X200: Ultra Low Voltage Mobile Intel® Pentium® III processor-M 933MHz X933 [221-2067]
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Service Pack 1 XPPRO1 [420-2038]
    Module Bay Devices: FREE UPGRADE!!! EXT 8-24-10-24X SWDVDCDRW COMBO 24XCMB1 [461-8037]
    Microsoft® Office: Dell Latitude Notebook NOMSBE [461-8702]
    Hardware Support Services: 3Yr Parts + Onsite Labor (Next Business Day) WI3YOS [900-0850] [900-0852]
    File Systems: NTFS,FILE SYSTEM,WIN NT/2K/XP NTFS [420-0153]
    Wireless Accessories: Internal TrueMobile™ 1150 Mini-PCI Wireless Card (Wi-Fi Certified) INTMPCI [430-0309]

7. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

The Fujitsu is a beautiful machine, and there is NONE like it, IF you want a real SMALL and FULL function machine. Once you go into a 12 inch screen form factor, then there are plenty of much cheaper choices (hence the comparision to a 12.1 TFT iBook is a false comparision). Watching DVD on the Fujitsu is fine, as almost all portable DVD players are under 7" diagnoal.
    I have looked at the Futjitsu and played with it, but for my purpose, I just could not bring myself to spend the extra money for the smaller form factor.
    I remember in a CNET review when the first 15" laptop was released (it may have been a Sony), the reviewer said, "I hope you never have to fly coach with this thing" [​IMG] .
    It sounded like for your purpose, you may not need such a slick and light machine. IBM's good, Apple's fine (the cost of software will kill you, but that's another story). I suggest something in the 13-14" screen size (reasonable DVD) may be 4.5lb (or less) full travel weight.

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The 12" iBooks are neat little devices... though im a windows user, im thinking of getting one when i go off to university.

9. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

10. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The Fujitsu is a really sweet machine. I like it. The processor is slow though, which is one of the biggest drawbacks. It's easily the most portable machine with a built in media bay.

One thing I really do like about the Fujitsu is the screen resolution. 1280x768 gives you a LOT more working space than 1024x768, believe it or not. That's a huge plus if you actually want to get any work done on it. The physical size of the screen doesn't make nearly as big of an impact on your bottom line as does the resolution.

The processor is probably the biggest drawback. It's not a powerhouse by any ruler.

I've used 15-16 laptops in the last 3 years or so. My next one will probably be one of these Fujitsu's (or the equivalent when I make the purchase).

11. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>and 1.5" deeper

12. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Other than the fact that the 12" gets hot and doesn't have the L3 cache to run UT 2003 at tricked out settings like the more expensive and larger 15" or 17", it is a pretty good deal. For $1900 I got the 12" Powerbook equipped with both a "SuperDrive" DVD-R, "Airport Extreme" 802.11g, 56K modem, 100BT Ethernet, Built-in Bluetooth, Firewire, USB, s-vid out, and VGA-out. No rebates involved. I picked up the MS Bluetooth mouse, a Kensington Fan, and a nice "Booq Powersleeve" case for another $150 total. I'm happy with that.

If you need to use a PC for something the Free MS Remote Desktop Client with a broadband connection works fantastic on my 12" PB G4 and probably 10x better than Virtual PC ever will wireless-ly. [​IMG]

13. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I don't hesitate to "appleappleapple" whenever the opportunity arises, but keep in mind that Gregg wants to use this machine for calibrations, and the required software (and hardware, depending on the type of connection) may very well not exist for the Mac.

14. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    thanks guys!

Im going to go with the Fujitsu. I will receive it Monday and post my thoughts.

Regards
    Gregg

15. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

I picked up the P2120 while I was in Singapore. Because of the currency conversion it was cheaper than the ones here in the US. I did not get the built in wireless because quite frankly I did not know that it was available at the time. I am using a Linksys PCCARD for the wireless. All in all a great deal. I also got up to $450 of free accesories with it because there was some trade show going on. I could have gotten a free Xerox laser printer but I could not carry that back on the plane so instead I got the USB Floppy drive, 64 MB USB Drive, Executive Travel kit (lots of cool stuff like power adapters, expandable power cords, laser pointer), 256 MB RAM upgrade (Note the forum link below will tell you how to put in a 512MB Mini DIMM wish I had know about that), USB web cam, better carrying case, extra battery. So I got all loaded up [​IMG]

DVD/CD-RW Drive, modem, LAN, Firewire, USB, VGA, S-Video, line out/optical SPDIF, widescreen format man there is a lot to like about this little box. So far I have experimented using the S-video and optical SPDIF (DD 5.1) out hooked to my HT and it makes a great little HTPC for only 3.6 LBS!!! The widescreen format is great on planes because you can open it up and watch it even when the person in front reclines. The man reason that I got this sucker is that it is light and widescreen. The panel is awesome. The only drawback is the CPU and slow HD. The standard XP tweaks make it faster but it still takes some time opening up files, apps, etc.. Once open things are fine. Maximum PC reviewed this unit and gave it a 9 out of 10 saying it was the slowest machine that they ever loved [​IMG]

NOTE:THIS IS NOT A GAMING MACHINE!

Also if you care you can run Linux on the P2120.
    Here is a great forum for the P Series:

P Series Forum

To sum it all up I love everything about this machine! It has a great cool factor too! The only drawback is the speed and I find that super super minor for the work I do.

Laters,
    Jeff

16. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Jeff
    thanks for the link

My first question and comment :

ARGH!!! it doenst have a serial port. How can I do a USB to serial port conversion??

17. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
  18. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Gregg Buy a Keyspan USB to Serial adapter. Most PC stores that have Mac gear will have one and its the one to get. You can find cheaper versions around but the Keyspan offers a lot of flexibility and if you want to use your pronto on it the keyspan's the one to get since it will let you remap the com port to com 1 which most won't allow. (I know I tried one before I got my keyspan)