What's new

opinions on Yamaha HTR-5460 (1 Viewer)

Brian_Lud

Auditioning
I'm looking to start my first home theater setup (on a limited budget of course). I was all set to buy the Onkyo 575x when I noticed that CircuitCity.com doesn't even show it anymore and Etronics.com links you to the 595. It was perfect because it was within my $400 or so budget for a receiver. So, I'm assuming Onkyo is phasing out the 575x and replacing it with the (slightly more expensive) 595. Now I'm not sure what I want anymore. After reading several other threads, I respect your opinions. What are your thoughts on the:
Onkyo TX-DS595
Yamaha HTR-5460
I have my eye set on purchasing the HomeTheaterDirect Level Three mains and center. This receiver would be used for home theater, and, occasionally, for cranking the music up during parties.
biggrin.gif

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I have the yamaha RXV620 which is the same as the 5460 I believe. I love this unit. It does everything I hoped it would and much more. The sound is clean and clear. It has plenty of power as well and really drives my speakers. For the amount of money I spent on this unit, I consider it a steal. You cant get a better unit than this one at this price unless it's used.

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, if you really want the Onkyo do a search on the 595 I've seen people saying they are getting it from J&R for $349.99 that's within your budget. :)

Brian_Lud

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice guys. But has anyone been able to directly compare the Yamaha 5460 and the Onkyo 595 receivers side by side? I'm wondering if the Yamaha is as powerful. I noticed they rate their receiver at 100 WPC, but only at 1kHz. What is it across the entire 20-20,000 Hz range? Does it rival Onkyo's 75 WPC?

Nick P

Second Unit
Brian,
You may have seen my post regarding the 595. I didn't prefer the Onkyo sound so two days ago I went to Best Buy and picked up a 5460 to demo against the 595. The 5460 is brighter than the 595, pretty common when comparing Onkyo to Yamaha. The Onkyo was too mellow for my tastes...thats not to say you wouldn't like it though. The 5460 does have 100 watts, 20-20kHz at .06% THD. At 1kHz it is rated at 110 WPC. You can check this out at www.yamaha.com It does seem to exceed the 595's claimed 75 WPC. The dynamic peaks during the opening of Titan AE DTS were much higher with the 5460. The bass was incredibly strong. I was playing it at 7db below reference and I was quite impressed when compared to the 595. That's all I can offer at this point. I haven't been able to play with the two receivers very much.
------------------

Brian_Lud

Auditioning
Thank you! That was exactly what I was looking for. And, you are absolutely correct in the rated WPC for the Yamaha. I read that, and just remembered it wrong. My bad. I will check out your thread on the 595. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks