Opinions on upgrading to Pre/Pro

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Edwin_H, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Edwin_H

Edwin_H Stunt Coordinator

Right now I am running my setup with a Parasound 1000A for my fronts and 855A for the center and surrounds. I am using a Denon 2802 strictly as a processor. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a dedicated pre/pro that would be a marked improvement for my Dolby Digital and DTS tracks on my DVDs. Would an Outlaw 950 pair well with the Parasounds??? Any opinions are welcome. Thanks!

-E

2. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

IMHO, you won't get a "marked improvement" from DD or dts. I think where my Anthem AVM20 pre/pro outshines my h/k AVR520 receiver is in the analog realm. Don't get me wrong, you should hear an improvement, but it won't be as great as when you hooked up your amps to your receiver. Upgrading my speakers gave me more of an improvement over hooking up an outboard amp (Rotel 1075), the amp gave me more of an improvement than going to a dedicated pre/pro. But that's just me. YMMV.
    Anyway, the Outlaw is like what 800 bucks now? Why not get one, try it out and if you don't like it, send it back. Adcom and Rotel have pre/pro's in the $1500 range. The Anthem, B&K Ref 50 and (I think) the Sunfire TGM3 are in the $3k range. You also have ATI, Krell, Classe and a few others I forgot.
    Good luck!