What's new

Opinions on upgrade. (1 Viewer)

Ok I currently have :
Toshiba 50H82
Panasonic RP62
Technics SA-DX930
Bose Accoustimass -6 (dont laugh, i've had it for about 6yrs)
Hughes HIRD-E86

I need a new reciever and cannot decide on which would be better for me. I do not want to spend over $500. I only have 5.1 surround right now and am not sure if I will ever upgrade to 6.1 or even 7.1! well to get to my point I have been looking at the Yamaha HTR-5590. I love all the features it has except I am not sure how it will work with me only having 5.1 when it is a 6.1 receiver. I mean will I lose any sound from my current setup if I am playing a 5.1 DVD on the Yamaha 6.1 and using my 5.1 setup? I am making any sense? I subscribe to Sound & Vision Magazine and try to read what is a good buy and what is not. Another factor is that I need a receiver with a cooling fan or at lest one that does not get hot enough to fry an egg on. I am really suprised how long my Techincs has lasted beceause it is kept inside of a A/V Cabinet. I also need opinions on floor speakers. I would like to get a good pair for when ever I play music, I just dont like the way my setup plays music. Or better yet if I could afford to get rid of the Bose and get a whole new suround setup!

Alright guys, just give me your opinions, please!

Dave

John S

Senior HTF Member
If you change speakers this also means changing your sub.

Now that would be a tall order for $500....

If you want a dramatic overall improvement, I do think you need to start over from scratch here.....

Here are the recent products I have picked up, that I am installing at my borther-in-laws house tomorrow night.

Onkyo SR501 6.1 reciever $180
AR 12" powered sub $120
6 Yamaha 8" Woof 3ways - $225
(I actually had the speakers lay'n around for a couple of years but I believe that is the price for 6 current model of the same thing)

A JBL NSP1 5.1 speaker package for under $200 would be considered better, but I would try to do the 6.1 now if I were you. I'd rather have the Yamaha's as I find I don't like sats at all with 6" and smaller drivers is all. And I don't care all to much for the sound of center channel specific speakers either. I really like to use the same all the way around.

That does come close to your budget, I will know how it all sounds tomorrow night after I install it.

A JBL NSP1 5.1 speaker package for under $200 would also be very good though.

Many here will have totally different opinions for you though...

I meant tower speakers not a complete surround set, like i said i only need a new receiver but need to know if a 6.1 receiver would play a 5.1 setup which is what i have. I mean will it try to play an "extra" sound that is not there like in the middle rear when i dont have one. or will it be able to play it in 5.1 properly,......sorry for the confusion

Dave

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi David,

On most AVR's, including the Yamaha you are looking at, you can specify you have only 5 speakers and a sub attached to it. It will play 5.1 DVD's great without loss of sound!

I have the Yamaha RX-V540 which is 6.1 but I only have it as a 5.1 for now (I do have the matching 6th center rear speaker but haven't gotten around to running the speaker wire yet :b )

JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bolorkay
Recent bookmarks