Opinions on Toyota 4Runner...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

just looking for general comments on the model.

fyi - i'm looking at a 99 sr5 with 30k miles.

thx,

ted

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Ted,

I work on 'em for a living. Like most all Toyotas they're virtually bulletproof as far as reliability.

It would help to know what specific attributes you're interested in, such as ride, power, handling, and what other makes/ models you might be considering, what kind of road conditions you are anticipating.

3. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

4. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Great truck. Are you going to do any off-roading or will this be a "Mall-Terrain" vehicle? [​IMG] I have a '98 and it does very well off-road even with open differentials, but if you can find one with a factory installed E-Locker, so much the better. The aftermarket ones are expensive, quirky, and a PITA to install. Or you could just wheel "smart" and carry a come-along.

On the road it rides like a truck, but it is a truck. Power is adequate and a good balance for decent gas mileage, handling is good for what it is, and they don't rattle which is nice and not what I'm used to having come from a long line of Cherokee's, Wagoneers, Ramchargers, etc. It's very comfortable for long drives.

Head on over to 4x4 Wire's Trail Talk Forums http://www.4x4wire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?category=2 and you'll find many owners who beat the crap out of theirs and still manage to get 200-300K out of them. As Steve said, they really are bulletproof and IMO they're the best in their class. They won't outwheel a CJ-5, but they're not far off the mark and much easier to live with as a daily driver.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx guys.

it's really for my gfriend. she'll be the primary driver. for me, i think reliability and safety are paramount, with handling a close second. power isn't too big of a concern....i realize it's an suv and i don't expect it to exactly jump off the line. plus i don't plan on rippin' down the freeway in it either - and i know she drives pretty safely too.

the only other suv i have experience with is my sister's pathfinder (older model), which i feel rides reasonably well. to me it has a bit of body roll, but i suppose that's standard on a tall truck.

although my gfriend will argue with me, i can guarantee you it will be 97.7% street driving only. i know we're never gonna go "four-byin" in it, but we may take it up to the snow on occasion. so, i feel a street ride is more important.

other models we're considering are the montero (i hear it has a horrible ride) and the pathfinder (i'm not familiar with the latest models).

one strong reason i'm looking at this truck is i know the history of it. it belongs to my girlfriend's friend and she's the original owner and is quite anal about the vehicle. it's had all the services done by the factory. she just replaced the tires and shocks too. plus, it has a pretty bitchin alpine setup! [​IMG] the owner has to work out how she can sell it to us and still satisfy her lease, but i think it's gonna work out in the end.

i really feel this will be the right truck for us...so i'm hoping everything will fall into place.

thx for helping!

ted

6. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

7. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Look at the Pathy - I own a 2001 LE and I really love it!

It gives a great ride - on the highway and off 9just in case you ever do some "four-byin" [​IMG]

The 2001, 2002, and 2003 are all basically the same vehicley - with small updates to interior/exterior styling.

Look over the threads at www.edmunds.com under the "Town Hall" section on the Nissan Pathfinder - you'll find lots of info.

A bigger Pathfinder (The Armada) is due this fall as a 2004 model. I may get a new vehicle (keeping my 2001 PF though) this fall and the new Armada is #1 on my list right now.

Good luck - as there are lot's of good choices out there right now...I'm sure you'll find something perfect eventually.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

okay chuck...next you need to do a pathfinder for suv of the week! [​IMG]

michael - i have a feeling if the 4runner falls through, the pathfinder will be very high on our list. i know a new 4runner is probably too expensive for us and i personally feel the pathy is a decent vehicle. i know my sis has been happy with hers.

ultimately though, i'll be at the mercy of my girlfriend. i'm just here to make sure it's a sound vehicle...not necessarily a practical one! [​IMG]

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

welp, i picked it up and am very happy!

thx guys for helping me make (what i personally feel) was the right choice!

[​IMG]

btw steve schaffer - if you're still reading i sent you a pm!