Opinions on Toshiba DLP's........

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Joe_G, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Joe_G

Joe_G Second Unit

Hey guys. After years and years of putting this off, I'm FINALLY going to upgrade my old 27" to a new HDTV. I've been checking them out and am eyeing the Toshiba DLP's.

I'm kinda a newbie to the HDTV thing, so some help/advice would be appreciated.

First, what's the difference between the "HM" series and the "MX" series? I looked on Toshiba's site but it really didn't say what the differences were.

I'm looking to get a 62". I'll be sitting about 9ft. away from the screen. Is this to close? I'll be getting either the 56" or 62". Those are the only sizes I'm looking at.

What's the verdict on the Toshiba's as far as quality and performance goes? Does anyone own one of these sets? Also, how are the black levels? That's one of my main concerns.

Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

The following was originally posted here ... by me ...

FYI: Read my "56HM195 setup, calibration & subjective review" (linked above in the quotes) for more detailed INFO!

I presently have 360 Lamp hours since Feb. 1st and just enjoying the gloriously crystal clear HD TV broadcast and HDMI upconverted 1080i blockbuster DVDs!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hope this helps,
    Phil

3. Phil Iturralde

Excellent!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] "Contrast Ratio" benchmarked by Home Theater Magazine to be over 4,400:1

Far superior to my previously owned Toshba CRT 50H81 RPTV!!!

Phil

4. Joe_G

Joe_G Second Unit

Thanks Phil. I'm glad that at least one person responded.[​IMG]

Good to hear about the black levels. Since I watch alot of sci-fi films - Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien etc, good black levels are important.

A little off topic, what dvd player are you using with you're Toshiba? I completely forgot and that I should get a new player too. I currently have the Pioneer DV-333. It's great but it doesn't have progressive scan and can't upscale.

5. Phil Iturralde

No problem Joe!

I bought the Panasonic S77s - up converting the 480p > 1080i via the HDMI cable!!!

Video: Supplied Panasonic HDMI cable**
    Digital Audio: 12' Radio Shack Shielded Coax gold-end cable

**I did have issue with the supplied Panasonic HDMI cable though (intermittent & random audio drop-outs) but after replacing it with this eBay HDMI cable (arrived in 2-days), ... I've had no audio related problems since!

Phil

6. Joe_G

Joe_G Second Unit

Phil, how much does that player cost? I'll be getting a new player, but I don't want to shell out a butt load on it since HD/BLUERAY dvd's are right around the corner.

Also, on those differences that you listed between the HM and MX series, do any of those affect the PQ? I'm not talking about the bezel![​IMG]

I checked Toshiba's site and it looks like there's a $300 difference between the MX series and HM series. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $300 for the MX series.

7. Phil Iturralde

For some that want to view their PC's on their big-screen, it might be worth it! For me, it wasn't! I primarily bought it for blockbuster DVD's and HD TV broadcasts!!! [​IMG]

Phil