What's new

opinions on toshiba 51hc85 (1 Viewer)

JesseBro

Stunt Coordinator
i have an opportunity to get this monitor for a shade over $800 with my discount (retailer not to be named)... it retails around $1300 so its a pretty good deal... now i have no experience with this monitor and i am wondering what your opinions of it are...

if your opinions are good... next step is to persuade the boss (the wife)

here are the specs

http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/19923.html

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

They can call it what they will but it is just a 51H85 unit. It calibrates well and has good potential. OOTB quality is reasonable.

Never liked the 540p upconversion of all 480i/p material so an upscaling DVD player is usually recommended with TV's that do this.

The unit also typically sells for $1300 CDN at any local store.

Regards

Rolando

Screenwriter
Michael, would you be able to confirm if these are actually the same as last year's model?

any upgrade or downgrade in quality compared to the 51H84? What about a 51HX84?

just curious as I need like 2 more TVs and I actually kind of miss my 57HX84. If these units are the same tubes I might get one and just use upscaling to avoid 720p.

thanks!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

All the 85 series are black from what I have seen. This one might be some costco type hold over from last year. I don't know. This is not a "normal" consumer Toshiba set.

The manufacturing of CRT rptv's has pretty much completely wound down ... so I wouldn't be surprised to see that these units share the same features as the 84 units.

(I don't have that info ... sorry.)

Looking at the items on the toshiba site ... looks like no tuner on these .. and addition of firewire on one unit. All the other things match the sets with the tuners.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread